Advice about bunion surgery

Posted , 41 users are following.

Hi, I am 61 and I am contemplating bunion and hammer toe surgery in the next few months. I struggle to find shoes that are comfortable and would love to hear from anyone who has undergone similar surgery. I also have a crooked toe which needs to be straightened. Please let me know about your experiences.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i had my left foot done, bunion and hammer toes, on march 31st 2015, the dr put in three screws and now 4.5 months later, my bone from my large toe has not fused and the bone has separated from the rest on the bone on top of the foot, I am in horrible pain, and now will have to have surgery number two, remove the screws that cause a lot of pain too, and in its place a plate.  I would do a lot of research before having this done.  I had a special walking boot to make me walk towards the side of my foot that wasn't operated on and after around 4 wks I was wearing a tennis shoe and limpiing, and I had a double wide tennis shoe approved by the dr, and my foot got progessively worse, until all I could wear are a man's size 9 crock shoe, I am a woman and wear a size 7-8!  I am now using a cane again awaiting surgery two.
  • Posted

What I can't understand Josie is why you would have been allowed to go into a trainer if the bone hadn't fused as this would have shown up,on x Rays.  This all sounds awful and I hope you're experience is in the minority.  My second foot op took longer to fuse as you can see from this thread but I wasn't allowed out of a boot cast until it had.  When you have your second op perhaps you should investigate with your Dr.about some supplements that will aid bone strengthening.
  • Posted

Hi I'm 60 also a nurse and had right bunion repair and hammertoe repair done 8 weeks ago. I'm in a walking boot now and am allowed to wear a shoe if it goes on ok and swelling isn't too bad. I drove in a show two days ago and did grocery shopping as well but by end of day couldn't tolerate show anymore with severe pain in my foot. I went back into the boot and rested for two days. I'm worried about going back to work! How long were you off and how long does it hurt!!!!

• Posted

I, too, am a nurse, or was. I was 62 at the time I had extensive bunion surgery on my right foot two years ago. I must admit that the results are an improvement; however, I still have another foot to go and I doubt I have the courage for another bunion surgery. It took over six months before I was able to walk comfortably and I had trouble for well over a year--enough trouble not to be able to work in my profession (and I wasn't on any kind of disability during my recoup time). I am not one to be bothered by pain. I have had very painful surgeries in the past including but not limited to removal of my lung, jaw reconstruction---the list goes on. Never in my life have I been in so much discomfort (not pain) for so long.  Even now, two years later, I have trouble sleeping. My foot must hang loose to avoid discomfort. My surgery was done by a fine orthopod who is highly respected. Granted, my surgery was extensive, but I am not willing to have my other foot "fixed" anytime in the near future.

• Posted

Good evening, 

I’m one week after bunion- hammertoe surgery and recuperating nicely with no pain. My only concerns are how long do I have to sleep with my foot elevated and how/when the removal of the metatarsal wire from my second toe is going to be done. Can anyone provide me with some useful information on these two areas?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.