Advice about Carbamazepine

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello all 

I was diagnosed last Friday and put on Carbamazepine 100 mg 2xs daily. I took it for 3 days then my friend said that it sounds more like a tooth. Went to the dentist nothing wrong with my teeth at all. I had stopped taking the Carbamazepine for one day and when I woke up this am I was in excruciating pain for about 2 minutes straight this is the first time the pain has been like that. I immediately took 200mg of the carbamazepine but I'm scared to move or talk. Oh btw I had been having little shocks here and there for about 8 months to a year but they weren't bad but now it's more and more shocks at one time. How long does it take for the Carbamazepine to take affect? I haven't eaten in 6 days because I'm so scared of another multiple shock to the face. Please any advice would be helpful 

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Carbamezapine works on blood level so you will have to take it consistently before you feel the effects. It shouldn't take long though...in my case after 3 doses I got relief. However, you must take it regularly, not just when you have pain. 

I wish you all the best. It's a tough condition, but talking about it to people who can relate is a huge help. 

• Posted

Thank u so much i know this may sound silly but how do you know when it's working? I mean I haven't eaten, drank anything and I barely say two words a day because I'm afraid that the pain will just be waiting for me to move. I'm getting like a clinching feeling in my jaw but waaaaay better than the shocking sensation when I'm having an attack. 

• Posted

Hi - I am in my 11th year with TN but am not familiar with the med you are taking but can relate to your pain and electrical shocks. See your doctor again and he/she can answer your question.  Also, when I have a question about meds I will call my pharmacist.  Best wishes.
  • Posted

My experience (not dissimilar to yours) is that the carbamazepine will take effect quickly and you will be without pain ( best case) or just have those little shocks.  My little shocks are in my eye tooth (Canine tooth) are on the right side of my face. I am able to eat fairly normally but I tend to chew on the left side to be safe.

I was on the same dosage as you but had to move to 3 x 100 mgs twice a day. I also had to get a blood test to see that my "C" level was not too high.

I hope this helps,

Wayne

• Posted

THank you so much Wayne so basically should I wait like 20 minutes after taking it to try to eat or drink something? Like I know I'm

Being a bother u all but this pain is the worst and I've had two natural births so I'm just scared that if I open my mouth or something the shock will be there waiting like it's playing peek a boo with me. Is there any signs in particular that let u know that it was working? 

• Posted

Hi, the best advice I can give is to make sure you take the medication at regular intervals throughout the 24 hours so that you develop a consistent level in your blood stream.  I use the alarm function on my smartphone to remind me - it really helps when you are not in pain and are more likely to forget!
    • Posted

I've seen a lot of people say that they take it every 12 hours when they are prescribed twice daily is that correct! Well this am when the big one hit it was about 8 am the time that I normally take the carb but instead of taking it I went to the dentist and didn't end up taking it til around 10am can I go back to my 8 and 8 routine 

• Posted

Yes, Wannahelp, just get in a regular routine.  So, if you take 3 a day, then take them every 8 hours, if 2 a day then take every 12 hours and so on.  Good luck!
  • Posted

Yes, the advice and comments you're getting are correct. You must take the drug every day at the correct time whether or not you are having an attack. Your dose is quite low compared with some people on this site and certainly a lot lower than mine was. I was on about 1600mg per day, but I am a big bloke and I could tolerate it quite well. BUT, do not increase your dose without medics approval. Also, don't stop taking it suddenly because you'll risk having a seizure. You must wean off the drug slowly. 

It's a great drug if you can tolerate it and has much potential for making your life a bit easier. 

Good luck

Big D 

• Posted

Well again I've only been diagnosed since last Friday so it was 100mg twice daily but now it's 200mg twice daily. Do you all think that's too much too fast? 

• Posted

I have had the MVD surgery one year ago. I was taking 300 mg. of carbamazepine 3 times a day and it did not stop the shocks. They got much worse for me and I did not want to leave the house. You have to eat. Try homemade soup, applesauce Anything that does not require chewing. I also took gabapentin300 mg. I was at my maximum limit. The pain went away after surgery. I have facial paralysis and pain on the left side of my head if I sleep on that side. I went to the dentist 3 times thinking it was nerve pain. I had them pull a tooth and it only got worse. (all before surgery)My heart goes out to you. Noboby has ever heard of this so you have no one to talk to about this. Make sure you have a very good surgeon and ask him lots of questions about after it is done. Surgeons dissappear after surgery and I had to find out on the computer.Keep taking your medicine. When I had a bad pain my husband would bring me a hot and cold rag to hold on my face. Never knew which would work. I told him not to ask me questions it was too hard to talk. Be strong.
    • Posted

Thank you Cathy.. how long did u have it before having the surgery? I should be hearing from the neurosurgeon next week for my first appointment hopefully he gives me

Some good news 

• Posted

From what I know you are on a low dose of Carbamazepiine.  Were you diagnosed with TN?  You say tooth.  Do you mean that you have just one tooth hurting?  Where were you in pain at?  If you have TN  they say it takes 45 minutes or so for some relief from the medicine.  I too have teeth pain and no one can tell me whats wrong.  Mine started after I had my teeth cleaned and a fluroide treatment done. I have been to several dentists and doctors.  The last one was a neurologitst.  I don't think he knows my problem.  He is sending me for a MRI.

Who diagnosed your problem?

• Posted

I was diagnosed with TN last week when I told my GP that I was getting shocks in my face when I brushed my teeth it wash my face or just standing up but the worse one was Friday when I went to drink a soda from sonic it lasted about a full minute. That's when I went to the doctor. I was diagnosed then and put on 100 mg twice daily but on that next Tuesday I was talking to my friend who said that my symptoms sound like a tooth ache so I went to the dentist that day he told me that my teeth were fine. Now remind u I had stopped taking the Carbamazepine for 2 days. That next more I had excruciating pain that went from my third tooth to my back tooth and just sat there continuously shocking me then it just went away. I then started taking 200 mg of Carbamazepine twice daily and I haven't had a shock sine the second day of the 200 twice daily but I am experiencing slight aches in my gum area and slight head pressure. I am waiting on an appointment from a neurosurgeon next week.  I was told that a sinus flush will make the TN go away and I've always had sinus issues but now I'm scared to do anything thinking the TN will come back with a vengeance. I don't know how long it takes for relief I'm scared to eat or drink anything cold or from a straw so I've only been eating mashed potatoes and applesauce bc I don't know if chewing will aggravate it. I've been brushing my teeth but I put orajel on first in the area then brush 

• Posted

Hi - I read your post with much interest.  I was diagnosed with TN in 2006 and had MVD surgery in 2009.  Unfortunately, my surgery was unsuccessful.  There are many people and I know two personally who had this surgery and are now living pain-free lives.  Before my surgery, I would get constant electrical shocks in my lower jaw area.  The shocks would be so intense I would cry.  Like you, I was scared to eat but would drink smoothies through a straw.  I lost about 30 pounds and was very sick.  Since my surgery, the electrical shocks are gone but deal daily with chronic pain.  Chewing is my main trigger so I need to be very careful and eat only soft foods.  My very best wishes to you and your neurosurgeon will be able to explain symptoms much better than I.  If you have any questions, I would be pleased to tell you my experiences with TN.  
    • Posted

They put me back on my carbamazepine and it helped. Now I am just sore and uncomfortable. I would say 2 or 3 on a pain scale. After going through the worse pain in the world this seems slight. I only eat on the opposite side. I had dental work done and was not any worse then usual.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.