Advice about mental health assessment

Posted , 6 users are following.

What happens at a mental health assessment? I have one tomorow afternoon and am so scared

I'm suffering quite badly with depression often thinking about overdosing and my self harming has stepped up a stage now sad

I have 2 young children and am currently being supported by my health visitor! 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The best way you can get the best possible help is to be honest with them they can't help you properly if you don't tell them what they need to know.  My friend has 3 young boys and she's had serious issues she's had assessments and the help and support she's been given has been amazing she got through her problems but by telling the professionals the truth of how she was feeling they were able to support her effectively.  It's nothing to worry about they just ask questions, just be straight and honest.  All the best x
  • Posted

Im so anxious i feeel sick sad
  • Posted

As well as being honest about how you are feeling, describe how you are at your worst, particularly if your problems vary from day to day. There is sometimes a temptation to gloss over the difficulties, to avoid appearing weak or a failure. Those doing the assessment want to help you, and they need to know how you really are. I hope it goes okay for you.
  • Posted

Hi Anna,  both Jackie and Jo have nailed it on the head.  You want and need the help, but to get the right help you have to be fully open and honest about your feelings, your thoughts, your worries/concerns. . .about everything.  Try not to worry because the assessment is to help to provide you with the right support.

Let us know how you get on. . .take care

• Posted

Hi Anna,

I am always nervous about appointments and assessments with doctors and the mental health people, worrying about what I would have to say. I found that it helps me to write everything down for the assessor. If you think of everything that you want to say to them and write it all down in bullet points on a piece of paper to take to your appointment. I always do this now, I find it helps me to feel prepared, it helps me to not forget to say anything and to not leave out anything important (as I was previously guilty of because I was too nervous to say it).

Best of luck!

• Posted

Remember, it's their job to deal with people in your kind of situation. Don't worry about what they think of you, just (as the others said) be honest and be organised. Take someone with you if you can - if there's someone who you'd be comfortable with. Take any evidence (doctors' letters and so on) and a list of the points you need them to know. Take a notebook and pen and write down anything important y ell you - at least their name and when you can expect to hear from them.

I accompanied someone to an ATOS assessment for physical disability last month. The nurse who interviewed her was professional but friendly, guided her with comprehensive questions, and seemed sympathetic. It wasn't a scary experience at all once we were there - though no-one can blame you for being anxious beforehand. From what I've heard, the assessments are generally pretty positive experiences, it can feel good to set out your problems to somebody who listens.

Good luck. I hope it goes well for you, and you get the help you need.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.