advice about my husbands symptoms please

Posted , 7 users are following.

My husband is 52,and we are back together after a 2 year split.He had alcohol dependency and has successfully detoxed. His symptoms which we assumed were alcohol related are frequent bowel movements which are solid,increased urination,sensitivity to heat,exhaustion but not sleeping well at night.crying a lot and an insatiable sex drive.he thinks he has bowel cancer but his symptoms seem to indicate an overactive thyroid.he is so anxious.he has slept and slept over Christmas but still feels exhausted. He rarely has been emotional but seems to well up at the slightest thing.He had 4 tiny bottles of beer christmas day and was as drunk as a Lord. Does this sound  thyroid related ?would appreciate some advice.thanks.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi teresa38576

He is suffering with overwhelming fatigue..Alcohol can block vital vitamins and minerals absorbing through the gut, ileum and into the system.. As your husband was alcohol dependent this may be the cause of his fatigue. The most important vitamin for energy which is blocked by alcohol is vit B12... ask your doc to test your husbands iron and vit B12 levels and get a complete blood count also to test for thyroid problems..If he is deficient in B12 and iron he will feel really low and depressed..my best wishes to you and your husband for a firm diagnosis...

• Posted

He is exhausted,it's hard to tell. When we were seperated he worked 6 days a week in a very physical job and he finally moved back in on 15th December.whether he is just reacting to having no stress I don't know.The symptoms are pointing to thyroid but until his bloods are tested  we won't know.He is on holiday til 7th.He is in bed today as he is being sick.thank you for your answer

• Posted

His older sister was diagnosed with overactive thyroid a couple of years ago.i don't know if it's hereditary. 

• Posted

Hi teresa38576

No worries happy to be of some help....when getting his bloods done you have to specifically ask for a B12 test it is not automatically carried out in a full blood count..Do mention that alcohol blocks B12 absorption as not many docs are aware of this sadly!...keep us posted of your progess..my very best wishes to you and your hubby for a favourable outcome..😊

• Posted

Hi Theresa 

It sounds to me like a thyroid disorder. The GP should run a full thyroid screening plus Vit D and Anaemia checks including Vit B12 deficiency.

Take care.

• Posted

Thank you. Have got a gp appt next week but it's not with his own Dr. I will get him to write a list to remind him as he forgets once he gets there. 

• Posted

Your husband needs a full physical check up with his doctor including all lab tests that go along with that.  This would include thyroid tests such as TSH, Free T3 and Free T4.  Alcoholism causes numerous vitamin, mineral and amino acid deficiencies as does hyperthyroid disease so he needs to be checked for this as well.  Most people addicted to alcohol become addicted because they initially use it to manage their emotions.  Initially it gives them a high and feeling of well being and helps them cope with anxiety and stress but it then turns around as they become addicted and takes that all back and then some.  Besides the physical detox and vitamin and mineral replacement, alcoholics need to learn new skills in order to achieve positive sobriety.  Most do well by joining a support group like AA.  My father was an alcoholic and never got to sober up before he died. He suffered a lot and so did we.  But I know it CAN change if you get all the help that you need and I think there is no one who can help an alcoholic recover better than another alcoholic who has achieved full sobriety.  Frequent bowel movements are a symptom of hyperthyroidism so if his thyroid tests do indicate he has hyperthyroidism, please post his lab test results to this Board along with the ranges for normal for his lab and we can help you with that aspect.  

All the best!

• Posted

I think his drinking was a direct result of our split. He hasn't had a drink since we got back together.i helped him detox and as a former alcoholic I realise the damage we inflict on ourselves.He doesn't crave alcohol now but the beers he had which were small bottles got him drunk.i have booked a gp appointment next Thursday.Today he is being sick and cannot keep awake.I do worry about the damage the vodka may have done to him.Will keep you informed.thanks for your advice. 

• Posted

I am not surprised at what 4 bottles of beer did to him.  Usually alcoholics who initially feel benefits from drinking acquire increased tolerance, that is they can drink a lot without appearing drunk or experiencing negative effects.   As the disease progresses, they then develop reverse tolerance which means that alcohol, which used to make them feel so good, now does the opposite - very little alcohol will cause them to feel ill. I think rest, good diet, testing for vitamin and mineral deficiencies and supplements for these deficiencies and treatment for thyroid disease if he has it should help improve the way he feels.
  • Posted

if 4 bottles of beer caused a high level of intoxication, you may want to consider liver damage or that he isn't being honest about how much he is drinking? 

• Posted

Thank you for everybody who has taken the time to reply. 
  • Posted

It could well be thyroid related. I would get him to the doctors asap and ask for thyroid blood tests. It is unusual for a man to suffer with an over active thyroid but not unheard of and the blood tests will either confirm or rule out. Best of luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.