advice about my pip needed please

Posted , 8 users are following.

been awarded the standard rate pip was expecting the high rate mobility if I ask for this do they stop your pip money??

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi

No the DWP don't stop your money whilst reassessing your claim. However they look at the whole claim and it is possible that they could decide that you don't qualify for standard rate and take that away, conversely they can also decide that you were entitled to enhanced rate or the decision was correct all depends on the evidence.

• Posted

Hi they didn't stop mine wen I asked them to look at it again, but when I had change of circumstances they write to me and said I wasn't entitled to any thing but I called and asked for call back from the accessors there actually looking into again as the medical didn't put nothing down I said was wrong she put everything was OK,so I'm sending a letter from my GP to clarify it so hopefully all be ok
    • Posted

iv not got a change in my circumstances just that I expected to score more in the mobility side but I'm worried if I ask them to look again they will stop this all
    • Posted

Hi. having same prob as you. I had an assessment for reporting change for the worse. They then stopped my PIP from 9 th March. I rang them and now it"s in recon stage. But they have not contacted me to ask what i think is wrong with it. I have had two texts on mobile saying they looking into it. Had one text at 7am.
    • Posted

Do you know, I can't understand how someone who is supposed to be a trained DWP officer of a senior grade can look at the same PIP application and come to a different answer where no additional evidence is sent in?

Are we to assume that those who make the initial decision are less able than those that carry out a MR?

There are a set of rules that everyone must abide by or is it simply that each can put their own interpretation on the same facts - if so it is pot luck then!

Sorry for going off on a tangent - I'm just having a moaning day!!  

• Posted

But wouldn't that explain Les why not many MR's are successful? Basically the Decision Makers all follow the same set of rules and when a MR is requested the Decision remains the same without additional evidence.
  • Posted

If you have only just been awarded this you need to find out why you have only been awarded the lower rate. If you dont agree than you have time to appeal against it and it will be reassesed but should not stop your money 
  • Posted

thanks guys for your advice I just don't know what todo for the best iam great full that I was awarded at least something as iknow it's very hard to get anything from the dwp at moment and a lot of people are in a mess with it I'm just scared il get nothing if I try challenge it iv only just got my letter today with all the info and been back dated from.December and been awarded for 4 years
  • Posted

My PIP decision states that the mobility is made up of two parts only and decided therefore only by two questions in the application. One being planning and following journeys - whether you need physical or mental assistance with this task and the other being can you walk/move around inside or outside without OR with assistance up to 200m. I therefore wouldn't hold your breath getting high mobility unless you have a terminal illness or can't move around at all without permanent assistance as it is worded to basically cut out everyone except a limited few. The first question only gets 4points so you seemingly need to be bedbound with severe physical injuries or on your death bed to get 8 or more for part two(for enhanced/4 needed for standard). They kindly included information on how to return mobility cars (not that I had one) for people who have been denied high so I guess there are lots of cuts in the highest mobility rate. Some reasons for my refusal for any level of mobility included the fact I am not on prescription only pain killers for chronic pain, have no musculoskeletel proof, I mobilised freely around my home and answered the door without being breathless or declaring pain or distress (it's about 10m all in and a narrow hallway lol) and from that they judged I am more than likely to manage 200m with assistance of a person or a support aid. So if you can be pushed in a wheel chair or push yourself 200m or if it's mental issues affecting you travelling alone but being with someone for support is a solution I wouldn't hold out for high. If however you are seriously disabled and bedbound go ahead with the appeal full throttle but remember that turning up to the court appeal may possibly work against you if you live more than 200m from the hearing and I'm pretty sure you will so possibly send a representative. It's worth reading all notes on what your assessor has stated as reasons for refusal they gave me a full page of excuses referring constantly to informal observations so how you came across on assessment day is likely what has been the main focus. Hopefully you get what you deserve in the end and seek advice from CAB before the tribunal as if you are again refused mobility on appeal they are entitled to review your personal award and send you home with nothing!
    • Posted

Hi Nicky,

I had exactly the same reasons as you in the post re my PIP Mobility today. I got enhanced Care but the basic mobility.

I don't know if I should appeal it though. Muscularskeletal issues do not really require pain killers and if they do Ibruprofen is all they give you. I am allergic to all pain killers so my GP never gives them to me. Also anti-inflamatories are another main drug given for it and I am not on them either. I do use Zopiclone though if it gets too bad to handle although this is my sleeping tablet as well.

I have suffered with it for over 35 years now and all the evidence was sent with the forms yet they seem to use it as a tool to say NO.

My issue is I was lucky not to have to attend an assement as my GP told them it would mess me up, I have BiPolar umongst other things, and if I ask for a review they may insist I see them.

I have read that sometimes, depemding on who answers the phone to you, they may even deal with it there and then....propbably not in my case as I'm never that lucky.

I am waiting for Physio but as with the NHS today I've been waiting for over 6 months and nothing yet. I am also under Podiatory for it and other things yet they have ignored all this I think.I have another appointment with them and was going to wait and discuss it with them as to what evidence they could provide.

I get the real impression they just want ot stop people getting Mobility Cars, I'm told over 45% of DLA High Rate Mobility claimants are having their cars taken away as when on PIP they don't get the enhanced rate!!

Apologies for any spelling errors but I am dyslexic also.

• Posted

It's hard to say what to do as an application to court could back fire if you seem okay at the hearing. They are definitely trying to stop the car level but if you need it and can prove it you'll have to fight it. It is becoming random now for most applications and loads are getting zero points . Seek legal advice be fore you apply. Citizens advice x
    • Posted

There were also over 250,000 people on low mobility dla and that doesn't exist now so you have to be disabled enough to jump up a level or just lose all together .
    • Posted

I would a advise get a letter off doctor with appeal as they dont do this . The *NO* button is just one button. You need to go full force at the appeal . Good luck x
    • Posted

The GP can only indicate the diagnosis and medication authorised. There is no way that a GP can confirm a disability and how it affects you and how it fits into one of the descriptors - they simply don't see you in that way. You need input from Social Services - who will carry out an assessment of your difficulties in your home which is carried out by an OT.

But then, they are swamped with such requests from people who want to keep/be awarded benefits.

No doubt the DWP will see it that if you are in serious difficulties then you would have had this assessment carried out weeks/months/years ago and not when it comes to claiming benefits. 

• Posted

Hi, having trouble in my head with descriptors, and how they are used by PIP. It confuses me when you can work and still get the benefit. Ok, i don"t meen some cozzy job where you can come and go whenever you please. And the boss wont miss you. You may have had a long standing job ( not a new job to to fit your"e disability ) and still get it. Is your"e job means tested as is the entitlement? 
    • Posted

Many people work full time and get PIP. For example you may fit the moving about descriptor which would give you enhanced Mobility but you could still carry out a job that allows you to sit at a desk or computer terminal all day. 

I had a full time job in a senior position with the Civil Service from 1995 (when the mental health problem started) until when I retired in 2008 when I was 60 (normal pension retirement age). During that time I claimed High Mobility and Middle Care DLA as well as being judged by the the DWP from 1995 to 2004 as being 80% disabled and 40% since 2004 for life when claiming Industrial Injuries Benefit.

I don't claim PIP however simply because I didn't want to get bogged down with constant re-assessments for the rest of my life.

That doesn't mean to say that I am less disabled, but I still manage to work on a voluntary basis for well over 50 hours a week now.

• Posted

Hi GOMP

PIP is not means tested and is available whatever your income.

As Les said it is possible to work full time and receive PIP. I would imagine Stephen Hawking is a great example of someone who would fit the PIP descriptors and works full-time.

Try not to worry too much about other people and their claims. What seems odd on the surface is usually clear when the full facts are known.

Concentrate wholly on your own claim and fitting your own descriptors.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.