Advice about pip

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I am 43 and used to work full time and have done since l was 16 years old last year l found out l had Osioarthritis in my joints and needed both hips replaced after beingbin severe pain for a year thinking l had pulled muscles.but eventually they sent me for xrays on my hips.

So l had my 1st hip replaced in december 15th last year and the 2nd on february this year. On recovery my knee'started getting very painful and l was sent for more xrays on my hips and knees.

I found out l had OA in both knee's and needed them both replaced. By this time l had been off my work since november last year had both hips replaced lost all my confidence became really deoressed at times. Luckily my husband works from homecand was there to help and look.after me. So l had my 1st knee replacements in august. This just pushed me over the edge l was as it was a very hard operation l am in constant pain with aches and pain still coming from.hips and know l was in agony with my knee.

I feel my life has been turned upside down.and l am a diffrent person from who l.used to be. I have slept on the couch for the past year as l find it more comroykkgkmk

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lors

As you might know claiming PIP is a process where you need to fit certain criteria and score enough points on a number of descriptors which include Daily Living Activities and Mobility. You are not awarded PIP simply because you have a condition (that is Employment and Support Allowance) instead it is based on how the condition affects you in other words it’s severity.

The thresholds are 8 points for standard payments and 12 points for Enhanced on either Daily Living or Mobility. You score points by fitting what are known as ‘descriptors’. In Daily Living there are 10 activities which range from preparing a meal, washing/bathing, dressing/undressing, taking medication, social interaction and budgeting. In Mobility there are two descriptors ‘planning and following a journey’ and ‘moving around’.

To ‘score’ points you must on the balance of probabilities prove that you receive personal care to carry out any of the daily living activities or your mobility is restricted to certain distances. To complicate things more the care must be provided more often than it is not what is known as the ‘50% rule’, in other words you receive the care more than 50% of the time. The good news is even if you can do some of the care yourself it doesn’t count if you can’t do it ‘safely’ ‘to an acceptable standard’ and ‘within a reasonable timescale’. A ‘reasonable time scale’ is usually set at more than twice the time it would take a non-disabled person to carry out the same activity.

It is VERY important to fill in the PIP2 form and give all details of any personal care you receive. Don’t make the mistake of just sending the medical evidence and hoping it will speak for itself, because it won’t.

Google PIP ‘descriptors’ and identify which ones apply to you. Actually write that descriptor down on the PIP2 form and explain why it applies to you and then refer the assessor to any supporting medical evidence. You will also need what is known as ‘care evidence’. Sometimes claimants have Care Plans and that is very powerful evidence.

However, it is not unusual for claimants not to have a Care Plan so instead provide a copy of a ‘Care Diary’. Get a signed statement from your Husband detailing the care he provides.

As I said you need to prove on the Balance of Probabilities that you receive this care so the more evidence in your favor the more chance you have of receiving the benefit.

On this forum we often get asked ‘what are my chances?’ and frankly it is an impossible question to answer over the internet without seeing medical evidence and you directly.

That said you have provided what is known as a ‘prima facie’ (first sight) accounts of your difficulties and it would appear that you may well have a right to PIP.

• Posted

Just a small point but I think it's important.  Scoring points for PIP isn't about proving that you receive personal care, it's about proving that you need it.  The form repeatedly says "This includes help you have and help you need but don't get".  It may be harder for people to claim if they don't receive any care as they will have an added hurdle - "You say you need help and yet you're managing without it".  

I realise Lors is receiving care from her husband but even in this situation there may be times that her husband isn't around to provide that care, whether because he's working or because she is, so the 'help you need' part of the requirement may be relevant.  During these times the reliability criteria become particularly important.  I think it's important to think about this and either explain on the form or in the assessment to hopefully avoid the opportunity for the assessor to make any incorrect assumptions about the help being given/received through choice rather than necessity.

• Posted

To anthony an denise

I am not sure what les is trying to say anyway. Is he saying because l am 43 and have arthritis that l am NOT entitled to any benifits like his wife of 71. He has confused me.

My life is never going to br the same again l have had to give up full time working l have dropped to 3 days a week but l can't even do that at the moment. I can only manage 2 days and not full ones. My husband takes care of me most of the time he is like my carer. So all l was asking was if l was entitled to any benifits like would my husband get carers allowance would l get help.wirh a moility car. Any you both have helped me understaand what l need to fill out on my pip 2 form l appriciate that.

See because l have worked all my life l have never claimed any benifits of any kind. So it all feel confusing and a bit degrading as well. I know l have lost who l used to be l feel helpless a lot of the time abd hate having to rely on painkillers to get me through the day. I have basically found out how pip works but l need to find out how carers allowance works. I feel stressed even thinking about it.

I have had a terrible year infact my life has been hard but l have just got on with it. I wanted a family l ended up l found out l could not have children after many years of trying ivf and failing and then miscarrying then a few years later l was hit with this. I did not want to becoaetly disabled ar 43 or my life to be turned upside down. Buqpt l could do with some help like pip or carers allowance. I did not realise les would be against it when l have worked since l was 16 years old.

Thank you guys fir yiur help. I am totally stressed just now as my mumis sufferung from cancer. I am going through this and just needed some advice.

...j 8ocarees

• Posted

I personnaly wouldn't worry bout what anyone else thinks. If you are struggling in dailiy life it's only right you should claim what you're entitled to. With carers allowance you must be claiming the care part of PIP. The person who looks after you must be doing so for at least 35 hours per week. If this person, in your case if your hubby is earning less than £110 per week. First though you'll need a PIP care award. Good luck with the PIP application.

• Posted

Again thanks denise all l.needed was some advice and s bit of confidence to know that l.am doing the right thing.

Thsnks guys xx

• Posted

Hi Lors

Denise has explained Carer Allowance very well I can only add that to qualify you must be awarded with at least standard rate Daily Living PIP. CA is not awarded for either standard or enhanced Mobility PIP often claimants are confused by this.

Les has a very unfortunate history with DLA/PIP/AA/DWP and it has made him very bitter. He seems to get some rest bite from receiving the sympathy of posters on this forum. Trouble is he has a tendency to hijack threads so the attention switch's to him rather than the OP which is very unhelpful for people like you who simply want some advice.

It is not shameful to claim a benefit when you have an entitlement indeed it is not shameful for you to ask if you have an entitlement. Often claimants have an entitlement but don’t know how to fill the application form in properly and get turned down. That’s why you have done the correct thing and asked for advice.

If I were you I would make an application follow the advice given and see what the outcome is.

• Posted

Good point Scally. The need arises when someone either cannot carry out the activity or cannot do it 'safely' 'repeatedly to an acceptable standard' or 'within a reasonable timescale' for example preparing a meal’

Let’s for arguments sake state that a claimant can cook a meal but:

In doing so they may face a danger (e.g. cutting themselves with a knife/or spilling hot pots and pans)

Could not do it to an acceptable standard (they burn everything or can’t use fresh ingredients)

Can’t complete it in a reasonable timescale (more than twice the time it takes a non-disabled person) or

Repeatedly (more than once a day)

If anyone ONE of these applies then the claimant would be deemed as needing assistance to prepare a meal and would score points.

But as you state Scally this information must be relayed via the PIP2 form and be consistent with the claimant’s medical evidence.

• Posted

I personally have my two young sons stated as my carers  due to shoulder surgery I need help cutting up my meal, chopping ,peeling and generally preparing a meal. Picking heavy things up, opening jars and tins etc. Getting dressed, a handrail to get out of the bath. I have also had Fibromyalgia for ten years and was in hospital two years ago after cracking my head open .I am only 52 and a single mother . I am now on ESA And PIPS but am facing a reassessment for ESA anytime now. I desperately want to work but do  not feel up to it as I get tired  very easily etc and have a very weak right arm I so do not trust the DWP to make the right decision so am really scared .I get carers  allowance due to my two sons helping me. I have had both ESA and PIPS taken away from me and won through a tribunal etc. But the stress and anxiety this caused me and my two sons was horrific. Best of luck in your application. You are entitled to this support and it is worth it in the end. I find the whole process demoralising but I had no choice. I have now  not worked for a year now. I used to be so active and found this site to be a life saver. 
    • Posted

I can't disagree with you, but I doubt many would have the opportunity, confidence or ability to argue those points with an assessor. My experience of assessors indicate that they never want to hear anything other than a yes or no answer as they do tend to jump straight into another question cutting you off midstream. I cannot remember a time when the assessment process was one that allowed a full answer to be recorded or even allowed to be given. 

• Posted

And that is why they usually get it wrong and cost the taxpayer for all these 

pointless tribunals etc and put unnecessary stress on us  all!!

• Posted

....and if you are no longer able to cope with that level of stress you simply give up trying for your own sanity sake.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.