Advice about upcoming endoscopy

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have been unwell for several months now with upper middle stomach pain , bad heartburn bloating and burping, I have to go for a endoscopy in two weeks and I am very worried , i have heard lots of horror stories can someone please tell me about there experiencer and is it so bad

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I didn't find it bad, Ive had two so far, you just need to relax and it's painless. The biggest problem is in your mind if you get too worked up about it and panic. I didn't have sedation but if your very nervous it might be better, though you will need someone to drive you home after.

Hope this helps

Alan

• Posted

I didn't find it bad at all, the prep was the worst part. I would not even consider having it without sedation though, it really does relax you and I watched the whole thing on th e screen, slight discomfoirt at one stage but not really pain, The staff were all lovely to me too, Good Luck!
    • Posted

Hi Jane, What prep did you have for upper endoscopy? I imagine that's what we're talking about here, since we're talking about heartburn. I didn't have any prep apart from not eating, and I've never heard of any. Colonoscopy is the one that has pretty horrendous prep.
    • Posted

ooops sorry, i was talking about colonoscopy, two different things on here, , my mistake, sorry!
  • Posted

Had loads of endoscopies over the last 21 years. Not pleasant but quite tolerable and they're all over in a matter of minutes.

Most people would opt to have sedation. It doesn't knock you out but you don't remember much about it - and many fall asleep under it.

Sedaation doesn't work for me so I just concentrate on breathing and remaining calm till it's over.

• Posted

Hi ashwhisper

I went for both endoscopy and colonoscopy. I was absolutely terrified and went on line rereading reviews (made matters worse!)

I opted for slight sedation. I can honestly say with hand on heart, I cannot recall anything! No pain, no gagging (I gag just opening my mouth for the dentist!)

No groggy feeling after the mild sedation. I couldn't believe I had fretted so much only to find it was over and done with. ..and I couldn't remember it! I mirrored your symptoms. Mine came up clear. The hospital consultant said my symptoms were caused by my depression. Please don't spend any more time worrying. You will not be in any discomfort xx♥

• Posted

In my view, opt for mild sedation, you won't feel a thing and you won't be unwell after eg sedation wears off quick. Within 30 mins I was on my way home! No way with my gag reflex could I have done it differently. Plus I'm a whimp and didn't want to feel anything lol! ♥
    • Posted

Thank you lorraine can i just ask please what is mild sedation what do they do 
    • Posted

Hi ash

it's so mild, up after 5 minutes! Puffing on my e-cig and out of the door. It's nothing like being knocked out with a major anaesthetic. It's very mild, and the beauty of it you don't feel a thing. You will be right as rain straight after! No driving though as although you feel fine, your natural reflexes will be poor for a little bit. I also read your throat can be sore after. Mine was fine, electronic cig and coffee within moments of getting home (hospital was 3minute walk away)

You will be fine! Not saying that to make you feel better...its a fact! ♥

• Posted

Hi, I had an endoscopy last year and it was my first, I was like you, worried about it.

I went for sedation, I gag if I put a pen in my mouth, so didn't think I'd be able to cope without. All the staff were friendly and make you feel at ease, they explained everything they do, and that's it I don't remember anything else, I woke up in a different room, they gave me a drink of water, I don't drink tea or coffee so I guess you'd get a hot drink if you want one, they call in the person your with, you have to have someone with you, they explained what had happened and off you go.

I did have a mild bit of discomfort after in my throat but it didn't last for long.

Hope you get on ok and don't worry, but I can only speak for going down the sedation route.

• Posted

I think it does probably depend on who does it, like Janet said, as my partner had an endoscopy a few years ago and had just the throat spray and he says never again!
    • Posted

Sorry I typed Jane but my phone put Janet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.