Advice and encouragement

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello...I just joined this forum and am hoping to hear some good things. I am one week post op hip replacement. I am 56 and was in fairly good shape going into this. Soon as they had me walking I felt that my leg was longer and doc confirmed it saying it was minimal. My question is I feel bad. I have been doing the exercises with physio but am not walking lots. Am I impatient? Pain is one thing but the "feeling bad" is what is bothering me. I felt better going into operation. I appreciate any thoughts and should I not feel so guilty about resting a lot? Thanks!!!!

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there!

I think I have probably had one of the easiest recovery periods really, although, after just one week I was in bed resting the majority of the day to be honest. There wasn't massive pain but my thigh muscle was so tight I just laid or sat with a hot water bottle and ice packs on it.

I didn't do any physio at all sad because the thigh was so tight it really hurt. After a couple of weeks it started to ease off and I was walkin more and more around the house and then I realised I wasn't really using my stick anymore so I spent lots of time walking with no aids around my kitchen table 😂 I then decided that going for walks as far as I felt comfortable would probably work instead of physio and I found I could walk almost a mile, then it just built up slowly, a walk every day.

Once you start to feel better it seems to improve on a daily basis at quite a rate.

I too have a minimal leg length discrepancy, but it feels less now, I'd wondered if it had bedded in more, but I mentioned it to surgeon and he said I had probably just got used to it and adapted my walk. I have had people watch me walk tho, to check, and they say you can't tell 😂

It's a massive operation and you're in the very early days, be gentle with yourself!

I'm a massive believer in doing what feels right, and it worked out ok in the end for me.

Good luck and let everything happen naturally and at its own pace - you will be surprised x

• Posted

thanks so much! I know now my expectations were unrealistic. I had the minimal invasive posterior but he had a hard time with my leg length so I think my leg was moved alot through surgery....I know that can affect my recovery. My daughter and I cabbed to a cofe shop for the first time out last nite and I realized how dependant I really am. Couldn't even use the bathroom!! Oh well I am going to rest and listen to my body more. Thanks again!
    • Posted

Rest when you want to rest, walk when you want to walk. At my six week check up I confessed to my surgeon that I hadn't done any of the physio and he said - and I quote 'don't blame you, they're a bloody nuisance, and you look ok to me' haha, I was a bit surprised but I listened to my body. As for using the bathroom whilst out and about, it is difficult, no raised toilet seat for one! It will all get easier, give yourself time xx
  • Posted

Good Moavy J,

​Welcome to the hippies site.  This forum will perk you up no end.  Supported me pre op nerves and post op worries.  Always someone to talk to and reassure you.  I told my lovely GP about it yesterday and she has noted the site to give to any new hippies.

​Def no guilt about resting especially at your stage.  I am 11weeks 4 days yippee..Still aches sometimes and still limping when I walk too much..Now going to have additional physio.  I am on my own and coped altjho was hard to start with and got 'hippies blues'..quite normal i am told.

Keep posting.

Ali 2

• Posted

Thanks so much! It's been a real journey. Even before my operation as I didn't get much support because to look at me I was fine yet we all know the type of pain we have endured. Not that I ever wanted sympathy I was just surprised...I have to have patience now and didn't realize so many other things would be happening....pain in knee, grey skin blah blah it goes on. Have a great day and thanks again!
    • Posted

Sorry Savy J..I got typing jitters and called you an unknown name in previous post...I have been reading all the posts to you..lovely isn't i?.  We do seem to be a family even tho we are unlikley to ever meet. 

i am sure we will be posting for weks to come..Thank goodness.

Alice ( Ali 2)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.