Advice and helping

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm new to the website but needed to get help.  I have depression and an anxiety disorder but the anxiety seems to be out of control.  I had a situation today that caused me to have an anxiety attack and I had a horrible day.  I'm finding the prospect of having these anxiety attacks for the rest of my life very discouraging.  I can't seem to get a handle on the anxiety and wanted to know what tools were used to control when anxiety flares up.  That's what it seems like.  I have meds for anxiety but not sure they are helping.  Any advice would be appreciated.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Therapy is a good idea to teach you how to move on, trying to do it yourself is largely pointless- after all if you were able to control it you already would be
  • Posted

Anxiety comes from over thinking so the brain can't handle it so you get anxious. Best to take a break and ask your self why am I anxious today and also write down your thoughts. I was told it helps a lot.

Hope that helps

• Posted

Awww

I'm sorry.

Are you able to focus your thoughts, away from the cause of the stress ?

I find that helps if I'm in Panic mode.

I found a really cool app, it sort of hypnotises you by getting you to imagine a feather in front of you.

Or, breathing exercises which are, in my opinion, very effective in refocusing your thoughts.

Good luck and wishing you a fabulatastic day.

Mariish UK

• Posted

One thing that helps me is to go in a room get a wet cloth and just slowly count. Or if it's real bad go on YouTube and look up meditation vids and just lay there and focus on the vid.. That's what I use to to do now I have a great doc and am on celxa daily and Xanax as needed it's helped a lot. Have you saw a doc?

• Posted

Well, it's vital you know your triggers. Like for me it's social anxiety. I don't understand conventions of behaviour when people get together. I get overwhelmed, jealous, frustrated, over think. Act selfishly.

I'm on anti deps and an anti psychotic for delusional thoughts. I believe they are helping but I have only seen change over a long while of being on them. So give them a chance.

I'm also on a compassion therapy course about feeling compassion for myself more then hopefully others too.

We do a deep breathing meditation exercise at the start where we try to really focus on where our thoughts take us but then try to bring the focus back to the present and the breathing.

Sometimes it works, just depends how much you can break train of negative thought.

I also think trying to help others either through this forum, or doing charity, or volunteering helps me cos it takes my mind off myself and my woes for a while.

Hope that's useful.

• Posted

Thank you for the suggestions.  I am having another bad day so this is helpful.  I'm anxiety about something that I have to do for work next week.  I've taken a few meds today but don't want to take any more.  Don't know how many can take in a day but I've already had 2 so will stop.  I'm not having much luck getting the anxiety down today and was near tears a few hours ago.  I will just keep plugging along until this passes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.