Advice and information please

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi my husband aged 64 has been recently diagnosed with serious pneumonia and was hospitalised receiving large amounts of antibiotics.

Last week he developed swelling and a rash over his lower legs and has been diagnosed with vasculitis, has a follow up appointment with the consultant.

He is having painful joints but presently no other problems.

Has anyone else had this reaction following a severe infection, what happened ?

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Search this to get an idea "IgA Vasculitis (Formerly Henoch-Schönlein Purpura or HSP)"  typically it is the immune system causing these IgA deposits and it should get better if other organs aren't involved.     This is an antibody found in high concentration also in the respiratory tract  so perhaps the body is over producing to fight the pneumonia but it led to the rash and joint swelling.   I would not be too concerned because at least the body is reacting, but if it continues later then be concerned.  Also keep monitoring with doctor to ensure any internal organs are not affected as it may require other drugs to reduce immune system reponse later.

• Posted

Thank you I am testing his urine at home and waiting to see the consultant.
    • Posted

Yes, it needs to run it's course but if it keeps going, yes Steroids like Prednisone may shorten the rash and swelling time.  It always worked with me really quickly as long as I had enough dosage.

• Posted

He was given a injection of steroid long lasting and consultant ringing him tomorrow , as they had lost the referal. The pain has been horrid and he is having problems walking due to pain/ swelling in ankles and back of legs. What a nightmare this disease is .

The good news is all organs ok

ThNks for your reply

• Posted

well the deposits in the joints may stop increasing but regardless it takes a while longer to clear out.  Walking for me was incredibly painful as even the bottoms of my feet hurt and of course adding the ankles and knees even up to my elbows was not much fun either.  Anyway, it just takes rest without being too immobile.   I starting exercising my upper body slowly first so the lower half could rest and I would not relapse.  The exercise was important as it increases blood flow to clear things out and aids in recovery but of course you need to start sloooowly.
    • Posted

Hi how did you treat your blisters on your legs?

My husband is having problems wearing shoes and the blisters are bursting Im worried about infection.

He is having problems wearing any shoes at the moment .

Any suggestions/ advice would be much appreciated.

• Posted

Unfortunately nothing I tried helped.   I just had to keep my shoes off and keep them up as much as possible.   Putting weight on them and using shoes just made things worse and worse.  As you know, it's incredibly difficult to do this because it's not just a day or two but weeks when it is bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.