Advice / experiences with gall bladder removal please.

Posted , 15 users are following.

I have an appointment this Friday (17. 01.2020) for my gallbladder to be removed after one 3cm gallstone has been causing me lots of pain over the last 3 years or so.

I have been doing some research and am so anxious about having it done, I've even thought about cancelling the operation.

I've heard the bloating stories, the pain, shoulder pain etc but the thing I'm most worried about is weight gain! On other forums people have continuously said how after having their gallbladders removed they had piled on as much as 30lb and can't shift it even with a diet.

Another lady explained how she is on a diet of 800 calories per day and is still putting on 1lb a day.

I've done my fair share of diets, and do still continue to struggle with weight loss. I'm so worried I am going to have it out, gain 30lb and no matter my diet, I won't be able to loose any weight. (I am quite immobile due to my fibromyalgia and CFS so a diet is my only option for loosing.)

I have spoken to the hospital who have said though in their experience it isn't common to gain weight, you have to go on a very strict diet after (will I ever be able to eat a pizza or have a chocolate bar again without putting on a ton of weight or being in pain from gas/bloating/acid)

Any experiences welcome. I'd prefer something that's not one sided. I'd really appricaiate having a bit more information or I'm worried I'm going to phone them tomorrow to cancel.

Please help

Steph.

0 likes, 138 replies

138 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Good evening my friend, just wanted to share that coming up in June it would have 2 years that my gall bladder was token out. I was on the border line of having to have mine out. I decided to get it out. My life changed as far. as what I could and could not eat. If I eat the wrong things such a, fried foods, junk foods, sweets, alcohol, dairy foods such as ice creams or milk ( Unless lactose) pizza, cakes, I will have diarrhea get nausea and or not feel good. During this process I use to weigh 210 , now I am at 185 and holding. A lost of 30 pounds. I think I'm the exception to the rule. If there are others, please join it.

This just another twist to the subject Steph9852

• Posted

Thank you none_now. This is another thing that's concerning me regarding never to be able to eat fatty foods ever again. I normally have a healthy lifestyle however enjoy the odd pizza/chips and would hate to never be able to have these again. Thank you for your reply

• Posted

Okay. So far so good. I went down for surgery at 830am crying on the operating table as I was so scared. Can't remember how many times i asked if I was going to wake up. I was out and in recovery by 10am felt a little sick so they put something in my hand as well as two little doses of fentanyl. I slept for 2 hrs and at 12 they said I had to wake up! I was practically pain free. I had a lot of pain in my shoulder from the gas which they said would ease. But my stomach felt like I had done 100 sit ups. No pain just aching. I had a sandwich a coffee and some biscuits and was able to leave the hospital at 2pm. I am now home and feeling positive. A bit of pain but I was sent home with paracetamol, ibuprofen and some codeine for if it gets very sore. I'm about to put my feet up and watch some telly. So far my son (3) has been very good. Making sure I'm okay and asking if I want a coffee. I'm going to take it easy and try eating some food a bit later, maybe some soup but at the moment I don't feel hungry. Thank you to all of you who helped me feel better about my surgery. Without your kind words I think I would have cancelled. Only time will tell if i have the complications with weight / stomach problems after. But for the most part I am feeling pretty positive about it. ❤️

• Posted

I must add, my 3 YO was asking if I wanted daddy to make me a coffee, not make it himself. Lol.

• Posted

Well done Steph.....I hope you are so proud of yourself for actually going through with it?? (I know I was! 🙈) Onwards and upwards sweetie! 💕 xx

• Posted

Hi Fifi

Yes very proud. I was trying my best, subconsciously to get out of it. They said if I had a little cut I would be a infection risk and it would be delayed, so I started showing them tiny little cuts I had 😂 didn't work lol. Think it's scary any surgery, and it's the unknown as far as I can see everyone takes the surgery and digestive issues so differently after they can't really tell how your going to react! Thank you!!! ♥️ Xx

• Posted

I'm actually so proud of you, simply because I know how hard it was to actually have the courage to go through with it having to do it myself only 2 wks ago! I was absolutely terrified! But here we are with it all behind us now. I'm right here if you ever need anything 💕

• Posted

1st night at home was horrendous. Once the pain meds from hospital had worn off I started getting pain in my shoulders, back and stomach. Kept up with my home pain meds. Managed to eat some biscuits, but didn't want to overdo it and wasn't sure what I could eat. Sleeping last night was uncomfortable and made the pain in my s hip shoulders worse. Slept through the night tho until 8am without waking up. Managed to get out of bed by with some help and down the stairs. Tried some cereal with skimmed milk and a coffee and so far so good. Haven't been to the toilet yet tho, quite nervous about the first time, was the same after my c section! So far so good and going to start introducing more foods as I go.

Really fancy some toast but not sure what butter is best to have. I currently use Lurpak light but I know oils are a bad thing. Maybe need to do a food shop today and include some bland foods.

• Posted

Today went well considering. Less pain, more stiffness. Managed to have a shower earlier. And I've actually ate quite a lot, since my morning shreddies I had a chicken mayo sandwich on granary bread, biscuits, chicken and vegetable soup for tea with some bread. And been snacking on fruit in between meals. I still have bad shoulder pain which is coming and going, it's moving into my neck and the bottom of my head so if it gets any worse I'm going to call the hospital to see if that's normal or not. I have lots of gurgling in my tummy, such a strange feeling. And some cramps that are coming and going but they aren't very painful, and I'm not sure if they're menstrual related or op related. I'm currently led in bed and feeling much less pain than I was feeling last night.

Must remember that I did only have surgery yesterday, I'm so used to running around I can't stand not being able to do anything lol.

Will keep this thread updated here if anyone is interested 😊

• Posted

hey Steph

good to hear your doing well. Glad you went through with it it will eventually be a weight off your mind.

your symptoms are same as mine (9 days since surgery) and ill be honest i found it difficult moving about, lots of stomach gurgling and stiffness for first 5-6 days. today is first day ive felt 100% normal. in fact ive been out shopping then out for a meal and 2 drinks tonight although its worn me out a little.

take care and rest up as much as possible,

• Posted

Hi Ant!

I'm so glad you're doing well. I'm getting a bit of acid due to the pain meds I presume so only taking them if I really need them. It's now 2250 and last had my paracetamol and ibuprofen at 1430 so don't think I'm doing too bad!

Thank you Ant 😊

• Posted

Can I just take the opportunity to thank you Ant for your positive notes.....your words have also helped me get through this journey and almost like we all didn't do it alone! Here's to healing....onwards and upwards! 😊👌

• Posted

Great to hear, were all here to help one another. 😃

this page brought me my own encouragement so as much as i can ill do the same. I have been fortunate to have a good experience although i understand some poor folk dont.

My only negative is that i cant go gym for another 4 weeks. Thats a pain in ass. A positive though is that im having some of the best sleep ive had in a long time. Prior to Op i was having broken sleep most nights. This last week not a single night where i havent enjoyed a full nights sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.