Advice for cleanser/soap? Is Cetaphil ok?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi 

I’ve been using cetaphil for cleansing the area down there for LS, but this was only recommended years ago. A couple years ago my derm told me only to bathe with warm water. Unfortunately that does not work for me re normal odor that happens when one doesn’t bathe. Even hot water is not enough. People have discussed baking soda and water mixture, but does it help with really cleaning? Someone else mentioned an all natural glycerin soap. Open to suggestions for cleansing that also helps remove normal odor. Thanks!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynn,  I use the Cetaphil soap and I don't have a reaction then I rinse my vjay with cold water.  I also use an organic lavender soap which seems fine for me. I also don't wear underwear so that I don't have additional irritation down there. Hope that helps.

• Posted

Just wanted to mention for  those of you that have seasonal allergies and are allergic to Ragweed-

Lavender is part of the ragweed family and I hv an allergic reaction everytime I smell it, use it, etc. Beware, many products contain lavender; hand soaps, detergent, creams, etc. 

• Posted

I had read on another posting that mixing lavender oil and verbana oil with castor oil works for them.  The verbana burned me, but the lavender was fine.  Everything on this site are suggestions on what works for that person, but it certainly doesn't work for everyone.  

• Posted

Hi my Gynae told me use Derma 500 lotion as a wash.

This also helps to deodorise and cleans .

I use baking soda once per wedk in my bath and have a spray after using the toilet .

I also use a cotton gauze to dry with.

Hope this helps 😘 

• Posted

You have a spray of what contents after using toilet? And could you specify proportion of bottle to ingredients ? Thanks!
    • Posted

Hi i have a spray of sterile water and alternate with one with two teaspoons of bicarb to 250ml of water. This i have decanted into a handy little bottle for my handbag . 😘

• Posted

I use a vegetable Olive Aloe glycerin soap bar I get from Whole Foods for $1.99. Very few ingredients: coconut and/or palm oil, vegetable glycerin, olive oil, aloe, chlorophyll, fragrance and essential oil. It works fine. I’ve also tried Dr Bronners baby liquid soap but that had a burning effect. 

Did you use the Cetaphil? I couldn’t tell from your post. I’m still looking for something to control the intense itch. 

• Posted

Hi J14251, yes currently I do use cetaphil and have for years, without issues, or rather it doesn't irritate but i cannot tell if its causing my LS to get worse. Back in the day, like early 80's, my doctor told me about cetaphil when I had mild eczema , at that time it was considered a very natural ingredient, but its not really very natural if you read the ingredients. Also my gyno, who is an expert on LS and unfortunately a big believer in clobetasol, told me i should not use any kind of soap to cleanse, only warm water. Which i think is strange since warm water doesn't stop odor. 

• Posted

I also would like to know what to use for cleaning besides just water. Maybe something we could use alternately to bathing with water only? Maybe once a week for a good clean-up? I had read someone using Dial something, but can't remember exactly what.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.