Advice for hemifacial spasm please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I am 46 had hfs for 2 years have Botox but now had enough,getting regular headaches because my sleep is interrupted,does anyone take medication for it ??? Was offered diazepam by my gp but does it help please??? Any advice welcome thank you 😊

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

This is just a repeat of a reply to another thread:

Hi Mrse, so sorry that you're totally fed up with HFS - it is such a debilitating condition and I remember feeling as you do now.

Diazepam might help your sleep but it will not stop the spasms.  There is no known drug that stops the spasms unfortunately and surgery remains the only potential cure.  One or two people seem to have found the Keppra helps their spasms a little bit but generally antiepileptic drugs don't do much good, sorry.

Hope you will find a way of coping.  All best wishes.

• Posted

Hello,

Unfortunately I have tried everything, even had surgery 4 years ago but it didn't work for me. I did try Botox again and it is working along with 20mg of Baclofen (muscle relaxer) a day.

I have had HFS for 8 years and it is so aggravating. I feel bad for anyone who has to deal with this. If you do try surgery make

sure you choose one that has done thousands of these surgeries. My mistake was using someone that had only done a handful.

Best of luck,

Diane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.