Advice for my 16 year old boy who has hives & due to go to spain

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone, first I want to say I'm so sorry for the desperation you guys are going through, it sounds fing awful xx

My son devolped a rash about a year ago, it would get reallyitchy, little tiny bumps would appear but would then go after 20 mins or so. He had this on and off but it got worse.

We finally went to the doctor, we had a picture of the bumps and showed the doc, he thinks its hives. So he put him on 180mg fexofenadine, which to start with helped a little but now does not work as well.

My son says sometimes he gets the rash but other times he doesnt, but regardless of rash or not he gets the feeling of painful needles in his skin, this lasts for around 15 or 20 mins, he can get up to about 4 attacks a day sad

(He also suffers with anxiety a bit, and he lacks self confidence and is not very positive at all and he gets stressed)

We are due to go to Majorca for a well earned family hols, but he doesnt want to go now. He recons the heat over there will make the hives even worse. He says changes in tempreture bring on the hives. I said to him "you can either be here in the uk with your hives or in spain with the hives". 

Is there anyone out there who gets moderate hives but who also went to a hotter country? Did it makes things worse for you? how did you cope? Is there anything i can do for my son to help him better deal with an attack?

We are due to see the doc tomorrow cos i want him to reffered toa dermatologist and i want him to try a different antihistamine.

Any help is much appreciated xxx

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Cetirizine was my only hope of getting the itch down. I developed hives and eczema half a year ago with ocasional rashes on my back just from sitting on a couch and that temperature caused my rash.

I live in pretty much a hot country since it doesn't have any cold seasons, i just make sure to take my antihisamine before i head outside. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not so much.

Bathing helps a lot! Cold showers, not hot, hot will help for a while but after bathing it will be extremely itchy.

If i scratched, and its still itchy, i would use diluted apple cider vinegar since it stings on areas that are opened, that helps with the itch temporarily.

I found that not much antihisamine help me as much as cetirizine. I think it's important to find out which antihisamine will work for your son.

Please, do not use any steroid creams/pills, it will help for a short while, but the hives will come back, maybe even worse than ever, if there is prolonged usage of these creams/pills, there are undesired side effects.

• Posted

Hi Claire, Your sons condition sounds a lot like mine.  The small very itchy bumps...they are awful.  Mine started in January of thiis year.  I am 58 and never had anything like this brfore.  I recently,(6 days ago). found the culprit...Mine was an allergic reaction to my down comforter.  I removed it and cleaned very well but it is slowly subsiding.  Before this I had tried every drug out there thinking it was CU.  Saw Dermatologist and she just kept prescribing topical lotions and creams.  Nothing helped.  Then a few months ago I saw an Allergist and this is where I got the help.  She started me on a regiem of Doxepin, Singulair and Zantac with Zyrtec every 6 hours as needed.  I took the first 3 meds every 12 hours.  I did get some pretty good relief.  When it was bad, I got Predisone also.  This seemed to help the most but you cant stay on it forever, and when the predisone ended it came back with a vengence and had to go back on again.  Vicious cycle.  Anyhow, if possible, see an Allergist also and try to remember anything new that came about when he stared breaking out.  It took me 8 months to realize what was my allergin.Good luck and may your son find a solution soon.
  • Posted

*UPDATE*

The doc gave him some 150mg rantidine twice a day to go with the fexofenadine. When will the rantidine show that it's working if it does work, like a week?

also he's been given prednisolone steroid tablet 4mg 4 times a day, only a weeks worth for a severe attack. So if he decides to come on holiday he will have these as a last resort.

Do you think the rantidine will work?

• Posted

I'll bear in mind what you guys said about the prednisolone. I don't want them getting worse
    • Posted

the Ranitidine starting working for me about 30 mins after I took it, for me, it's been a miracle worker
    • Posted

how much do u take and how often. do u take it with anything else?
    • Posted

That's good news Claire and don't worry about your son taking the Prednisolone if he needs it,  a week won't hurt him.  Remember that he needs to take it with or after food though if he has to take it.  It can cause gastric irritation if it isn't taken with food.

I hope you all have a lovely holiday!

• Posted

thanks Mrs mop. Fingers crossed he still wants to go. But if he pulls out last minute then not to worry we will have a good time regardless.

Just as long as he is happy with whatever he chooses to do that is the main thing xxx

• Posted

i take 300mg Ranitidine in the morning with 10mg Montelukast and another 300mg at supper every day!
    • Posted

Hi Claire...I saw immediate results from the ranitidine however I was taking 300 mg. twice daily.

• Posted

Hi, I also take 300mg of Rantidine and 10mg Singulair twice daily each one.  Then I take Doxepin 75 mg. at night but when having a bad day I take 25mg  whenever I need it.  If I still cannot sleep I take 50mg Benadryl and usually it knocks me out.  See a Dermatologist but request an allergist as well.  That is where I got the most help.  Good luck.  Hope this helps

• Posted

Hey Claire,

My best advice is to research Xolair. In UN experience results can last up to six weeks, or even longer depending on whether I'm truly in remission. But with xolair shots, your son should be able to exercise without unsightly swelling, save for a few painful bunps. It is costly, so speak with your insurance provider and an immunologist to see if you are eligible.

Remember, if he would be happier at home, and you are going on vacation for your family to enjoy, then he may just as well be better off happy at home. It's a hard sacrifice but for as long as his illness persists, well we all won't be happy.

Try giving him Zyrtex, or cetrazadine, as people seem to laud it on this website. I wish you the best of luck and hope you enjoy your vacation! Do let us know how this works out for him!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.