Advice for my dad's liver disease

Posted , 1 user is following.

My dad is 50 and he has been drinking heavily for the past 20 years since he and my mum split up, he drinks every day but didnt have a job for about 13 years so drank all day from 10 in the morning till before he went to bed, he then got a job but binged drinked every day after work, and now he has lost his job, so he drinks every day from 10 again, he went to see his doctor about pain in his leg and he got told he has liver disease, but as usual the way he copes with it is to not tell anyone and go on a drinking binge for a week, we only found out becuase his partner had had enough and told us, but my dad wont talk about it and he didnt stick around to find out how bad it is.

Can anyone please give me advice as it is killing me not know what to expect?

He has a big beer belly and he has yellow ish skin and eyes (which i no is jaundice) and as i say he drinks alot, i dont no what other symptoms to look out for!

Sorry for essay but i just need help as my husband doesnt understand how i feel, bless him he does try tho.

I look forward to your replies.

Sam sad

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam,

I feel for you on this.....

Maybe you should sit down with your dad and tell him how you feel even if you doesn't listen you can always know that you tried.

Do you have any brothers or sisters that could help?

Also you should sit down with your husband and explain how you feel and maybe you can both come up with a plan to help your dad.

Im sorry if Im not much help.

Dave

• Posted

If your Dad is already suffering with jaundice then he's playing with fire by drinking even more now sad Maybe he thinks dying of Alcoholic Liver Disease is like curling up and going peacefully to sleep :roll: its not. its horrible sad He can stop this process right now by simply not drinking, in the future he could even see an improvement in his condition smile
  • Posted

Thanks for the responses, they are much appriciated, i have sat my dad down and tried to explain but he just doesnt listen, he seems to just shut off, he has always been like this.

What does it mean that he has jaundice? I dont really understand anything about liver disease, so i am basically asking for help and advice. How bad is it that he has got jaundice and keeps drinking.

Again thanks for the responses, its good to know that i have somewhere to turn to.

Sam

• Posted

In this case the Jaundice means that the Livers function is quite (euphemism) 'impaired' :? Its bad because he could be very sick at any time in the coming days or weeks, but I suppose he could last months smile In the body the Liver performs a wide range of critical functions, without these you die sad He needs to face up to it and be a man, have the tests and rid himself of this disgusting booze, the only people benefiting from his stubborn stoicism are the brewers :roll: smile

Here are the Patient UK leaflets on (click) [b:b2f5428ec2]Jaundice[/b:b2f5428ec2], [b:b2f5428ec2]Liver Cirrhosis[/b:b2f5428ec2] and [b:b2f5428ec2]Pancreatitis[/b:b2f5428ec2] smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.