Advice for recent diagnosis

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been here before. My COPD is still mild but has worsened since last I was on here. My GP and pulmonologist are pretty laid back about the whole thing. Take your inhalers and see you in 6 months. My FEV2 is 89, FvC is 94. I don't know the 25-75 number but it brought it down to 77 fev1/FvC. So I guess it is mild but the 25-75 is significant?

I feel worse since the spirometry results 2 mo. ago. More sob but also my oxygen is 95-97 when it was 98 a few months ago so I think that affects energy level?

I generally feel ok but am wondering what else I should be doing? Exercise is something I really want and need to do but I have arthritis in my feet!! So I do it when I can. I would like to work on my upper body strength. I have had no other advice. What advice could I get to keep my condition from taking over quickly? If any?

I don't have much support due to the stigma. I have only told one close friend. I am scared and feel isolated, although I go about my life pretty well, so far.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Maryterese Have you tried Pulmonary Rehabilitation it is very good and well worth it in the long run. It is always important to do excercise if you have a step you can step up and down on that another one is tin of beans and use them as weights sit on a chair and stand up you can do these excercises for 1 and half minuites each time you do it. You can also use a ball and you through it against the wall if you have a hall way you can walk up anmd down there for 1 and half minuites too. also i would like to stress out please ask if you can have lung reduction if you haven't had any of that. I have 34 percent of my lung my left lung aint working properly because i have big air pockets and im on oxygen 4 hours a day.so please ask lots of questions and mo9st important tell them how you feel.

best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.