Advice for recovery after TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi

i am hoping to be discharged from hospital tomorrow following my TKR, a few things have been recommended:

CPM and/ or icepack machine. I am thinking of hiring one or both ( or none?). Has anyone used these or have any suggestions about whether they are worth bothering with??

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I can't advise about the machines, but one thing i will mention is that most people advise icing, & im sure that must suit a lot of people, but i couldn't get on with it at all, it gave me a continual ache down my shin bone ( even the machine when i was in hospital ). I preferred warmth instead. I kept my electric blanket on the lowest setting all night &I had no trouble sleeping. probably a lot of people wouldn't agree with me, but it worked for me. Might be worth considering it before you get a machine. GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

As i said a lot wouldn't agree with me, but it worked for me, we're all different !

• Posted

I use the Ice machine works great helps keep my swelling down also helps me sleep better omg good luck on your recovery mines have been very painful but you will get thru it

• Posted

They should give you an ice pack going home....they gave me the cuff from the ice machine which i then put into the freezer to use...rem not to ice directly onto your skin...a lot of people swear by ice-ing.....it helps but listen to your body...do your exercises....rest when you can sleep even if it's sitting up.....try and divide your day into little activities you enjoy...read...colour....walk...whatever you can...say yes to all help and all offers to get out...it's hard not to drive for 6 weeks .... be gentle with yourself ...hopefully friends / family will help you out..my friends were amazing....I'm over a year post op now... it's a long rd...still working on it!

• Posted

re ice machine too expensive. My husband found clay icepacks at our local chemist and I find them as good as the ice machine. They come with a cloth sleeve with a velcro strap to secure. Works really well for me. Best wishes, it appears to be a long road to recovery.

• Posted

Don't get an icepack, get a cooler. Get one with a large pad that goes around your knee. Worth every penny. I would not have survived the first month without it. We don't but ice, we use frozen water bottles , only fill 3/4's full. ours holds 3. I ice at least 3 times a day.

We bought ours. It would have been $250 to rent. Ours cost $150.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

My surgery is THURSDAY. GREAT idea. I'm borrowing an Arctic Ice machine and just told my husband about the frozen water bottles Genius no mess with tossing out more water! WE'll put 6 in the freezer now and be prepared! Thanks

• Posted

bradley_33200

Send a link please.

That way you could get 2. we have 2. one in bedroom for night use and one in the living room for TV use, just be sure not to go past the fill line or it won't work. you have to dry out.

• Posted

Never use heat, always ice, to reduce the inflammation. This helps with healing, stiffness and pain. Heat makes everything swell. NEVER HEAT on any surgical area. Rent or borrow an ice machine from someone and use it intermittently all day every day, and especially after activity and physical therapy. Any other post op advice I would recommend searching for Chico Marx's excellent advice posts.

• Posted

ive got a guy coming here with a Range of Motion machine for my second knee today surgery is THURSDAY. I didnt use it much the first time but may see if it will help me this time around. I'm determined to get better quicker now that i know what to expect this time. arghhhh I'm dreading the pain of recovery but that's the price to pay to be painfree in a year or so

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.