Advice for starting Citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

Dr prescribed 10 mg Cit for severe anxiety and depression. Too scaresd to take it after reading about start up effects, and the possibility that I will end up more anxious than before. Anyone just starting out and finding it ok. I need a push. Thought I may start with 5 mg on Monday and take it from there. Encouragement would be much appreciated. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I wish I knew what the right answer is. I started taking anti depressants last year and they definitely helped but to get off of them seems to be more difficult than I thought. I am going back to my doctor next week. Going to try get off them slowly and will post about it so that if you have to go on them, then you know that there is eventually a way to get off them. Cold turkey did not work for me. So going to try the tapering off slowly. All this is just my opinion and I am by no means a medical personal or expert. I am just posting because I know the posts of others helped me. So I hope this helps someone.
    • Posted

Thanks Vee. Good going. I hope it gets easier x
  • Posted

Angie I was like you in the beginning just stared at those pills, scared to take them. Just remember not everyone has bad side effects & starting out on 5 or 10 mg is a very low dose. I've been on 20 mg for about 9 mo now & honestly for about 6 weeks I felt really weird but I powered thru & now feel great. Everyone on this forum can relate to anything you are going thru which really helps a lot. You don't feel alone. I don't plan to ever stop taking these pills & im not a pill type person, but these gave me my life back! 

Good luck Angie on your journey smile you'll be fine.

• Posted

Thank you Carol! So good to hear a success story. Anything has to feel better than how I feel right now. So looking forward to having my life back. Thank you x
  • Posted

hi angie , everyone is different when starting citalopram.But i must say it hasnt been all that abd for me and iam only on day 6 ! first 2 days i was shattered .More anxious definatly and felt a bit sick .But now im feeling more confident and better in myself .i take mine at 9pm as i thought i can sleep through the side effects .However now when i take it at 9 i feel fine :D only side effect left is red sticky eyes .
    • Posted

Just what I needed to hear Natasha. Too scared to even open the box! You have given me courage. Thank you and so happy you didn't feel too bad. Keep going.
  • Posted

Angie .the only side effects I had was tummy upset. I started on 5 mg and now on 30 .and have been on that dose for 12 months .and I feel fantastic. The meds are only half you deal. They will help try are not a cure.

What got you here in the first place may be due to your life choice .that nay need to be addressed. And expeceilly you must not bring your self Down .be up Beet about every thing

• Posted

Gwen, lots of life changes and challenges. I hope this is just the nudge I need to get out of a slump. Happy to hear you feel fantastic. It's been a few months since I have been able to say that. X
    • Posted

Well Angie its been hard work .telling my self this is just a blip .and just needs a reset I took on to much and didn't listen to others who some how new I was heading for trouble.. Just be kind to your self and be a person with a half full glass not half empty. We Dont take our own advise .but seem to to able to give good advice. What would you do if you was talking to someone in your place.? That would be a good start. And meds help but they are only a plaster over a big wound.
  • Posted

Angie

i was prescribed 10mg of cit 5 weeks ago. I'm not one for taking pills but because of life changes I ended up with depression  i still feel a bit weird at times taking the tablet but will carry on because I want to get back to my old self and a lot of caring people on this forum has said when they kick in you will be a new person. 

• Posted

first few days i thought about quiting ...but then you have to go through all of it again .the withdrawel .And to know how amazing you can feel at the end of it too :D i really hope yours is the same as mine and only lasts a few days :D keep going and all will be ok !!
  • Posted

Welcome to the Club! Angie,

If your Doctor precribed 10mg then take it, 5mg may give you the same side effects as 10mg! Side effects will come and eventually fade (I know 6 months down the road!) you may get some or all that are talked about here, you will have  different levels of intensity or not! It is all down to the individual, but it doesn't have to be a lonely, confused (and sometimes - maybe) scary journey. Which it won't be from hereonin because you are here!

One thing to be aware of is that anxiety is caused by Cita before it can start treating it as part of the overall "sticking plaster for the brain" and I am glad of this forum for helping, advising and preventing me getting too paranoid (which may or may not happen in your case). Who can tell, all you can do is try to go with the flow, accept what comes, any queries you know where we are (a word of caution here though, sometimes you may not get an immediate reply as we may prefer to stay in bed! Lol!

Positivity is sometimes difficult, but every little helps overcome the negative in the long run (and you have us!). I am 6 months down the road and on 40mg, feeling something like the old me, but know I can have the odd down moment (not days anymore which is really nice).

Stick with it and stick with us.

Regards,

David

• Posted

Thank you so much David. I have been having a few issues with my account, so have found my original log in details and will stick with just being Lee again. Have been diagnosed wiyh Depression and anxiety and was originally put onto Remeron as insomnia was my primary symptom, which I think led to the anxiety and depression. Having stopped the Rem 2 weeks ago after short 6 week use, the Dr suggested Citalopram. I had also tried Brintellix earlier in the year and made it to 3 weeks, and discontinued due to radical nausea. So I. don't have a great track record with SSRI meds. Have been off all meds for 2 weeks and think I may just take the plunge today, with breakfast! Thank you for your encouragement, because right now does feel a bit lonely and confusing. Glad to be here and to hear you are feeling better. Have a great day. Lee.
  • Posted

I started Citalopram 6 years ago. I was drowsy for a few weeks, but actually got more sleep, otherwise side effects were minimal. Citalopram has been very helpful with my anxiety and depression.

About two weeks ago I upped from 20mg to 40mg and definitely had a tough time. After about two weeks my situation improved and continues getting better. I still sometimes have a rough day, or a bad few hours, but overall moving in the right direction for sure.

I've read many stories on this forum of people going through moderate to intense side effects, but improving rapidly after a period of days or weeks. I've also read many stories of people experiencing no side effects at all. One common element in all the stories is the encouragement to keep moving forward, it DOES get better, we are NOT alone. Wherever you are, people have been there before. Some are there right now. Thanks for having the courage to post and ask questions, hearing about your story and your struggles gives encouragement others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.