Advice help for a child with extracted molar and space maintainers

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is there a need for a space maintainer for the upper primary first molar. My 4 year old will not let the dentist put it in due to anxiety after he got it extracted. I have read that it is always necessary so I just want to know the extent we should go to get it put in. I really want to proactively avoid braces for my little one. If we are not successful will that space close up. He has very gappy teeth

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

At 4 I can't think you child will need anything until the second teeth erupt just ensure so sugar sweets and regular brushing 
    • Posted

Thanks. He is going to be 5. I am worried yah if we can't get the space maintainer on his tooth to hold the space from the extracted primary first molar that the space will close up when he starts to get his adult molars at six years old
  • Posted

As my husband has had teeth problems for his entire life and I am not much better, I would strongly recommend doing the space maintainer. Once his permanent teeth start growing in you could have some real problems. The trick is using the right kind of psychology on your specific child to get him on board.

May I ask what happened for the tooth to get extracted in the first place? Was it growing in the wrong spot or was it more of a trauma damaged it and it was removed for safety reasons? The cause of the extraction may be an indicator to the type of issues your son may or may not be facing in the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.