Advice/help please on COPD, fibrosis and emphysemia and heat condition.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all

Thanks in advance for reading my post. I am new to this group and after some advice or if anyone has been in a similar situation.

My dad is at final stage of COPD and also has all of the above conditions. I guess I'm wanted to find out what to expect. He's on oxygen 24 hours a day and breathing is still difficult. Can just about get up and that's about it. He's also recently been suffering with low blood pressure. We're all afraid to ask how long he has but it's on all of our minds. Less than a year ago he was not on oxygen, driving, able to do house work. Walk short distances etc so in a short time as rapidly deteriorated which is worrying how quickly it has happened given he had it for years with minimal change. Recent x Ray's have also showed the scaring on his lungs is much worse. Which we already know given how much he struggles

It's horrible seeing him like this and not being able to help, he's 71. Was a heavy smoker for a long time but quit in his 40ies when he had a heart attack

Sorry for long post

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear about your dad my mom is 84 and has fibrosis and stage 4 copd and is on hospice 4 months oxegyn 24 hours a day can do anything but go to bathroom so confined to bed most of the tome this has been going on since dec last year when she had a heart attack .
    • Posted

Sorry to hear about your mum also, it's a terrible thing to go through, she sounds much the same as my dad, the hardest part is knowing he will never get better just worse.

• Posted

First off, I'm so sorry u are having to go through this. I went through it with my dad as well and now my momma. My dad had the low blood pressure as well. The lowest I saw it was 60/40. He ended up with chf at the end of his life He was diagnosed with that a few months before he died. He struggled greatly his last year. The last 6 months was extremely hard to watch. He got weaker and weaker until he wasn't able to hardly get in his wheel chair without extreme difficulty. It would wind him just to move him. None of he doctors would really tell us what to expect until his last few weeks of life. They finally said there was nothing else they could do. His body was pretty much shutting down. We thought we lost him a few days before he died bc he went into a co2 coma. They placed a bipap machine on him and was able to bring him back around. But it was a struggle up till we decided to call in hospice. He had had enough. Hospice btw way wonderful. He died In peace. He went off to sleep and never woke up. My prayers are with u and your family. All u can do is just be there for them and make them as comfortable as possible. With my daddy and momma all they really want is for u to be there.

• Posted

Thank you tonya for sharing your experiences, sorry to hear you are going thru it again, it's a terrible disease.

What is chf? They have also said there is nothing more they can do for my dad, I must say he has had great care looking after him and my mum is his full time carer, she's finding it all very difficult. And the hardest bit is not being there with them, I live the other side of the world

• Posted

chf is Congestive Heart Failure. Basically, the heart is under immense stress trying to get more oxygen circulating. The lungs dont supply enough any more, so the heart rate goes up, the blood pressure goes up, trying to get more. Ends when the heart just stops which is a quick and painless death, perhaps fortunately.
    • Posted

Hydrogen peroxide will give him the oxygen he is lacking
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your replies. I understand a lot more now, my dad passed away last month. He was told he had months to live but his body shut down 3 weeks later. It was horrific but was also spared a lot. I flew back to spend time with him and he passes the next day. So I was there , I hope your mama is ok
  • Posted

Thank you everyone who replied to my post, It's been an extremely difficult time and my heart goes out to anyone with these horrible diseases. after I posted my dad found out he had months to live. He sadly passed just 3 weeks later,

• Posted

So sorry to hear this about your Father 

I wish I could give you advice  but the only thing I can say  tell your Father if possible  to keep moving and go back to the docter 

All the best

• Posted

Thank you for your response. My father sadly passed away last month sad 💔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.