Advice,info would be appreciated

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all- i recently had full blood checks and all normal apart from one little line which states that i  need to discuss with GP at next appointment which is January 4th next year. ( she is on leave till then).

It states only this - Thyroid function Test - Plasma TSH level 10.05 and Plasma Free T4 level 10.09 - no other info, Can anyone who has any info re this let me know what it means please thanks Jenny

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jenny...  we would need to see the range values for your test.  But by what I can see, it looks like your TSH is on the high side... not sure about FT4 without a range.  But a high TSH is indicitive of low thyroid function which is called hypothyroidism.  Some of the more common symptoms are weight gain, feeling cold all the time, brain fog,  hair loss, dry hair, dary skin, brittle nails, fatigue, and muscle aches among some of them.  There are sveral things that can cause hypothyroidism.  One of the most common in the US is Hashimoto's which is an autoimmune disease in which your immune system attacks your thyroid mistaking it for something that should be there.  You would need a test for Tgab or TPO antibodies tested.  Positive antibodies a great indication for Hashimoto's disease. Another cause I know is iodine deficiency.  This is more rare in developed countrys because of the fact that they put iodine in our table salt.  Other causes I am not sure about.  But I am positive someone else will come by and help out with more imformation.  Everyone is very kind and very helpful here, so welcome.  I am new here and have learned so much already.  I hope I was of a little help for now.  Good luck Jenny!
    • Posted

Melissa and barbara - what can I say? the information that you have both given me is brilliant - cannot thank you enough for this. i will take notes and head for an appointment if i can before the fourth.

i think the main symptom i have had is a state of awful lethargy, reduced energy ( and i mean somedays i cannot do anything. My hair has gone very dry and brittle and i do not feel myself at all. I was treated for depression for some of these symptoms but the pills made me feel even worse, so I stopped taking them. To be honest i have been feeling unwell for several months and I have put on weight even though my appetite is not so good. I do have a skin condition called vitiligo which I believe is a auto immune problem. Thank you both again - I feel loads better already. jen

• Posted

H I Jenny, SM summarised it beautifully. In UK the range for TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is 0.4-4.9, so as you can see, yours would be classed as a bit high. The main question is what are your symptoms and how bad are they? You may wish to look up hypothyroidism symptoms and see how many you have and decide whether you are ok to wait or whether you would like action to be taken before 4 Jan. If the latter, see if you can get an appointment with a different doctor before then. You are likely to be asked to get another blood test to check for thyroid antibodies to identify the reason for your high TSH reading. Any GP in UK can request this blood test. It's also worth asking whether you can get tested for other vitamins and minerals, as people who have hypothyroidism are often low/deficient in them. The most common deficiencies are vitamin B12 and vitamin D (look up the symptoms); iron and ferritin are also important.

It would also be useful to check selenium, zinc, potassium, magnesium, calcium. There's one more, can anyone spot which one I've missed and let Jenny know? If If you are diagnosed with hypothyroidism, the treatment for a lot of people is fairly simple, taking thyroxine. If you are in the UK hypothyroidism entitles you to all your prescriptions free. Ask your GP for the form to send off for an exemption certificate. Whilat you are waitibg for that to arrive ask your pharmacist for a receipt for any prescriptions you have to pay for, and you will be able to claim the money back when your exemption card arrives. All the best.

• Posted

thanks again Barbara - the info and suggestions are great - I will take all advice and let u know - thanks again jen
    • Posted

Jenny, you're welçome.

Are you in UK? If so, personally I would ring my GP up in the morning and get an appointment to be seen the same day (have you registered for online access? If not, i suggest you do so). They'll ask 'is it an emergency' and you say 'I need to be seen today'. If it were a real emergency you would be at A&E not ringing your GP - they mean is it urgent, and as you are feeling so rubbish I would think 'yes', as you need this addressing as soon as possible, so you start to feel better. Preferably in time for Christmas.

• Posted

Hello Jenny:

My name  is  Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA. I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease.

Your TSH is Thyroid  Stimulating Hormone and should be between 0.45 to  4.50  and at 10.5 you are Hypothyroid.  if it was on the lower end you would be Hyper or too much.  It is opposite of each other.  You need to be a medication to replace the needed hormone.

FreeT4 (FT4) should be  between 0.82 to 1.77  and you are over that.  Are you sure it is not T4 level alone?   Regular T4 level is 4.5  to 11.2.

What meds are you on?  Have you taken LEVO?

Please give me more information so I can ascertain what is going on in your blood.

Regards,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.