advice needed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hiya all smile

been a hard and horrible few months for me and wondered if people have been through a similar thing.

During February, I started experiencing lightheadedness and dizziness. I put this down to the flu and stress as i was in my final placement as a trainee teacher.

A few weeks later, I again became lightheaded and it has subsided since sad I went and they said it was labrynthitus and gave me some tablets to help.

After a further five weeks of constant lightheadedness I again went to the doctors in which they sent me for blood tests.

My thyroid results came back slightly out of range and I need to go back in a month for more blood tests to re test these. Due to being lightheaded all the time, my anxiety is also through the roof. I am walking round supermarkets and feel like my legs are about to buckle! It is reallt starting to get to me now!

Is this a symptom of anxiety or thyroid or both?

I am currently in my last few months of uni and having to do dissitations and look for jobs and things and I am really starting to struggle to concentrate on these important tasks! I a constantly down all the time and not myself . Always worrying that its something else!

Any advice or speak to someone who has been through similar thing would really help!

just wanna be me again! lol

Thanks

S

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety tends to make you feel 'disassociated' sometimes, you feel insubstantial and not connected to your surroundings, less co-ordinated and weak. You don't need two sets of symptoms and, ultimately, thyroid conditions are totally treatable. You are probably anxious because you are having to wait for an answer. If your anxiety is affecting your life- get that treated too! If you actively make a step towards getting it treated, even that makes you less anxious and the treatment will take it the rest of the way.
  • Posted

Hi Samantha, the fact that your thyroid results came back slightly abnormal would suggest perhaps that this may be something to do with the dizziness. However feeling light headed and dizzy is also a symptom of anxiety too. You could be suffering from a double whammy - with the worry only making the symptoms worse. There's nothing you can do about the thyroid yet until you have been retested but when you feel lightheaded just try to accept it and say to yourself " this is just my thyroid or anxiety or both - I recognise this as a symptom of a problem I have but it's under control and being dealt with" - it often makes it less scarey when you are experiencing it. It's a very stressful time you are going through right now with finals etc and this isn't helping either but again try to acknowledge the part this is playing in your feelings and don't get panicked by them. I hope your test results throw up something concrete which is so much easier to deal with than our wild imaginings. Lots of people hate supermarkets too - especially if you are feeling anxious - the whole noise and brightnesss and wave upon wave of products can be truly overwhelming and you feel like you just want to get out. I've never abandoned a trolley yet but I've come close a couple of times! Hang on in there - it may sound like a platitude but you really are not alone.  
    • Posted

Thank you so much Lyn! this is something that I suppose I did need to here! I think your right with the fact that its the waiting game that is not helping with the anxiety!

I think If i could control the lightheadedness then I would be okay.

I have woken up with a more positive attitude today after a bad day yesterday and I will not let this beat me/get to me!

Thank you for the kind words smile

• Posted

These things sure can be caused or exacerbated by anx.  Also I find when I'm anxious I eat and drink less- this is no small thing as it doesn't take much to send your blood sugar plummeting,  which can really make you dizzy and a bit more crabby than usual 
  • Posted

I think that thyroid malfunction can make you feel weaker so the medication they give you following the blood tests should help.  But try not to worry until you know the results.

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.