Advice needed

Posted , 4 users are following.

I wrote on here a few weeks ago stating my hubby has been offered 2 days a week work.

Im on esa sg and pip.

I know if he does this work i have to notify dwp.

My question is i know i would loose my esa cus im on income related esa. Because this work is self employment and not guaranteed every week what could i claim if not esa as im disabled so i cant work and two days a week isnt a lot.

If this work runs out would i have to start esa all over again or would it go back to contribution based instead of income related

Can anyone help me

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

As it's only 2 days work depending on how much he earns you could declare this income and it would be taken off your ESA. How much would be taken i don't know as i would have to look up the answer for you which i don't have time to do right now.

Claiming working tax credits while being self employed is very different now and they changed the rules in 2015. The rules are as follows although he would have to increase his hours to more than 2 days to be able to claim it. Here's what i found...

From 6 April 2015, all new claimants who are using self-employed work to meet the qualifying remunerative work test for WTC, must show that they are trading on a commercial basis and their business is done with a view to achieving profits. The self-employment should also be structured, regular and ongoing.My oppinion is you should be get some more advice from your local CAB or use an online benefit calculator because it's out of my league to be honest. I'm sorry i can't be of any more help to you.

• Posted

Thats fine thanks for your advice i think i will get him to go to cab my esa is due for review soon anyway as ive been given support group till 2018.

He hasnt decided wether to do it yet so i want to sort out our finances first

• Posted

Hi it wouldn't ever go to contribution based as you are not working and therefore building up more NI contributions.   If it is income based now it will always be that. 

• Posted

Hello there thanks for your reply if im in support group esa ive been told today that as im in th sg it wont change and as my hubby is working i can claim esa for myself and go on income support is this true
    • Posted

Who told you this? because this isn't true exactly true. To be able to continue with your ESA or even Income Support because they're both Income Based, a claim would totally depend on your partners income. If his income is too much then your ESA claim will end. If this happens then you won't be able to claim Income Support Either. Being in the Support Group makes no difference, sorry. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi denise ive done the benefit calculator hes only doing 2 days a week at £8 per hour so it wont really affect our benefit or so the calculator said

• Posted

As i said before it depends on how many hours he does. Either way you do need to tell them if he's going to be doing any work and your ESA will be adjusted acordingly if needed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.