Advice needed about financial support whilst off work for an operation

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm booked in to have a left hip laberal tear repaired in December and am worried sick about how we are going to a mange money-wise during my recovery period when I will be unable to work.

I am only entitled to statutory sick pay which will nowhere near cover our outgoings.

Does anybody have any idea if there is anything we can claim during this time please? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

  • Posted

    You could claim housing benefit and council tax if your income is low. Xh
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted


      If you ask the credit card companies to pay a smaller,amount you,will be adding interest which you will have to pay..

      This would be more pressure on you long term.

      Spend wisely - is it necessary or do I really need it.

      At least you have time before the op to maybe put some money aside.

      After statutory sick pay you will be entitled to ESA - employment support allowance but I am unsure when that kicks in.

      There is a possibility you could get the interest paid off your mortgage or Council Tax,- Housing Benefit.

      If you have a partner their income will be taken into consideration .

      I hope this helps.

      Do not take a loan out the interest rates are

      exceedingly high and not worth it. It would become a never ending debt.

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thank you Linda-I didn't have a clue where to start so this gives me an idea. Yes my husband works full time but isn't on a particularly high wage so I'm sure we must be entitled to something.

      thanks again x

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Ye like the others rent and council tax   , and if you have any credit cards ,or anything else like that then you call up the companies and explain the situation and see if they can put payments down till you are back at work, sorry wasnt more helpful xx
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thanks-think I'm defo going to have to do that as I am paying a few back. Not spending any more on them but we still obviously have to make monthly payments back for what is already on them. Will call them and see what exactly they can do. Xx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    i belong to a charity up here in Aberdeen and they are very good at sorting out these kind of problems. I would check out local charitys, citizens advice bureau, your local council should have a department to help you out. I learned a harsh lesson when ill health hit and that was simply to live within my means, get a pen and paper and work out what you do and don't need this really helps.

    best wishes james

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi James, the citizens advice down here in Manchester is like trying to get an appointment with the queen! They offer a clinic where you can take a number and sit and wait to see someone, I think that at some point my husband is going to have to take a day off work and come with me-I suffer with anxiety disorder as well so the thought of sitting in a waiting room packed full of people makes me feel sick. 

      On a practical note I'm going to have to do something or we're going to be in more of a mess than we already are.

      I have gone through our outgoings and we really spend nothing that we don't need to-we don't go out etc as I'm either too tired or ill and my husband does what I can't at weekends so doesn't go out with his mates etc any more.

      Thanks for the advice cheesygrin

      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up