Advice Needed - About to start and at uni full time

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there.

I have recently started university and I have been putting off taking the tablets until I get myself into a routine. Now that I have my weekly timetable I was wondering if anyone could help me with regards to the horror stories i've been hearing.

Do I need to take spare underwear to uni?

Will I need to emergency exit my 3 hour lectures?

Does it affect drinking? All my housemates will notice if I opt out.

Can anyone help answer these questions? Or do you have any advice regarding being away from home for long periods of time.

Many thanks

Clare W x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ok to address your concerns-

You don't need to take spare undies but if you feel nervous or uncomfortable then wear a sanitary towel (slightly further back) until you're familiar with how your body reacts to the tablets and what you eat.

You need to stick to [u:2caf57d067]no more than 30g total fat a day with no more than 15g in one meal[/u:2caf57d067], you need to think about the drinks you have also i.e milk in tea or coffee. If you stick to that rule you shouldnt need an emergency exit from lectures...or at all! You need to really look at what you're eating in terms of fat grams.

Keep a diary of what you are eating and how much fat you're consuming to keep yourself on track.

As for the alcohol its about thinking what in it i.e baileys has cream so a big no no, also alcohol is full of calories so while these tablets work on fat you consume you may find little or no weight loss if you drink lots of alcohol.

Would it be possible to tell your housemates you're on a perscribed weight loss diet which means you need to control what you eat and drink so they understand why you're doing what you're doing?

You shouldn't experience the nasty side effects if you're sticking to the golden rule of no more than 15g per meal and no more than 30g a day.

The problem with these tablets is they are known for the nasty side effects but what isn't as quickly publicised is the fact that it occurs when someone eats more fat than they're allowed. Most of us go the whole time without them, personally i have been on them a year and the only issue i have is wind!

Good luck! 8)

• Posted

as poster above states stick to the allowance and you should have no problems.

Also not a lot of people know I am on tablets to loose weight and personally when it comes to drinking I can take it or leave and do not find I have to explain myself, if I do I just say I don't drink as I don't really like the taste and no one has really questioned it.

• Posted

I take spare underwear to work just in case! but haven't had any mishaps at all - just be careful and don't eat high fat food and you should be ok.

I know it's technically not good advice, but I ahve to say that I have been drinking wine 3 times a week and the tablets have no effect on alcohol at all (there's no fat in wine!), although drinking a lot can obviously affect how much you will lose.

• Posted

hey

ive just finished uni and whie i was there i put on loads of weight due to eating coz i was bored, drinking, parties, big meals with the whole flat etc

and while i was there i went to see a weight loss nurse which worked for a bit but all she was doing was telling me to eat less and excercise which i know that anyway so i stopped going, it was only when i moved back home after i graduated that i actually took action

there will be a lot of temptation, are u living in halls? i found when living there everyone wanted takeaways all the time and sometimes i felt silly being the only one not getting it so i ended up saying yes most of the time

but if your strong minded then youll be fine just stick to your allowences and the weight will fall off

good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.