Advice needed for esa

Posted , 5 users are following.

My hubby was offered 2 days work self employed im on a joint claim with him for esa hes my carer and the fella who offered him work said he cant guarantee the work continueously but hubby wants to do the work. If he takes this job and he doesnt get any work for a couple of weeks will esa make up my money or will they not bother

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

I don't know the answer I'm afraid, but I'm sure Denise or somone will be able to advise you soon. 

• Posted

Hi,

I'm sorry i don't know that answer to that one. I do know that if he claims Carers allowance for you then the max he could earn is £116 per week without it affecting it. You could ring CAB for advice over the phone. Sorry i can't be of any more help.

• Posted

Well that was a waste of time rang dwp told them what was happening they said they disregard the first £20 any way but they would have to stop the whole claim and look into things before making a desicion they couldnt tell me anything over the fone they asked if he was going to start the job i said i dont know thats why i need advice and the dwp said theres nothing they can do unless i ring to let them know he starting it

• Posted

I had a feeling this would happen. It's because you're claiming Income Related benefits. I'm sorry i couldn't be of any help. Please make sure your hubby thinks about it before taking this job on. Have you tried CAB for advice?

• Posted

I tried ringing them this morning nobody answered so my hubby took me up and its was packed out so ive left it.

Another organisation told me that they would take £100 per week off my money it just dont seem worth it i know he misses work but unless he gets offered full time its mo good him doing it

• Posted

Yes i remember you posted that a few weeks ago. It could also affect housing benefit and council tax too if you claim that. If you do and he does decide to work you would need to tell them the changes. He could of course increase those hours and claim tax credits. Doing this would obviously stop your ESA completely. Hard choice, yes. Hope which ever decision he makes is the right one for you.
    • Posted

Thank you but as these hours arent guaranteed i think we will stay as we are he is my carer fulltime so he wouldnt be able to work more hours anyway.

People have said do it on the side but im not like that and wouldnt be able to live with my self if i did x

• Posted

Whoever told you to "do it on the side" must be crazy advicing someone that! I'm happy to hear that you're not going to do this. People who do will always get caught, doesn't matter how long it takes, eventually they will. Do things properly and you'll sleep better at night x

• Posted

Hi I agree that there is no point in your husband doing any work if it is so intermittant.  The sysytem is crazy when it doesn't encourage anyone to work when they can.   The figure of £20 has been the same for at least 20 years so it should have been increased in line with inflation.   The same with the £5 you can earn on JSA. 

I know people do work for cast only whilse on benefits and I don't blame them. It's not for everyone though as there is always the risk of being found out.  They come down hard on you these days. 

• Posted

I agree there are people doing it but i would be constantly looking out the window if it was me xx thanks for comment xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.