Advice needed: hysterectomy in June

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi I could use some advice and experience with recovery for an upcoming hysterectomy for large fibroids and cysts. In March while having hernia repair and gall bladder removal surgery they found a very large abdominal mass that turned out to be one of 6-7 fibroids (outside and inside my uterus) and a large ovarian cyst (5.4 x 5.9 x 6.1 cm ovarian cyst. The larger fibroid is 9.8 x 12.9 x 9.6 cm which is inseparable from the left ovary). I'm scheduled for laparoscopic plus vaginal hysterectomy June 6 although due to size it may turn out to be adominal surgery.   I was told recovery was 2-4 weeks. But from the accounts read here I see 6-10 weeks.  I was also wondering about the chance for the cyst to be malignant as my dr said he couldn't rule it out until it was tested.  I'm not taking this news well. I'm 47 years old this will be my third major surgery this year (on top of a breast cancer scare). I know the likelihood of pregnancy at 47 is nil but the idea of having 100% no chance is putting me in a bad head space. 

Thought? Suggestions?  Thanks.  NLS

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Wow, you've gone through a lot!

Anyone who told you recovery from your current surgery would be in 2-3 weeks is absolutely crazy. You will recover as soon as possible, assuming you take adequate rest and care of yourself.  External incisions 4-6 weeks.  Internal can take much longer 6-8 months. Plus, your body will need to adjust to the absence of a gallbladder.    

It seems to me that your next surgery will probably be open surgery. because the surgeon will need to see exactly what he's dealing with.  If he's concerned about cancer, he will need good tissue margins around what he is removing. It's extensive surgery, Your recovery from that might be longer.

You're going through a terrible, terrible time. My heart goes out to you.  At this point, if you'll forgive me, let nothing interfere with saving your life. xx

• Posted

Thank you so much. My surgeon hopes he can do it laparoscopically. You're helping me sort through all of this. 

• Posted

Hi there, 

Gosh you are going through the mill.

I have just had similar op a 20 cm mass on my right ovary removed a full hysterectomy plus appendix and a small piece of bowel. I had full abdominal surgery with no complications  albeit I didn't expect to lose appendix and a bit of bowel. However I can't imagine for one second you will be back to normal in two to four weeks, your body needs time to recover. I'm four week post surgery, I feel really good but energy levels are very low, I can't cook or clean yet, I wouldn't last 10 minutes lol.

Plus I'm under strick orders from my surgon to do nothing for at least 6 weeks or could end up back in hospital and I'm defo not doing that. He said outside will heal within 6 weeks but as my fellow poster said at least 3 months internal if not longer. You'll be fine just be kind to yourself. 

Sending you love and Light x

• Posted

Thank you. You've went through a lot yourself. I'm glad to hear you're on the mend, that gives me hope. My dr at first said 2 weeks out but I was able to get permission to be out 4 weeks from work.  I'm just hoping my surgeon can do it laparoscopically. 

• Posted

Wow, that’s a lot to take in remember early intervention is all great. Sorry I haven’t experience any of this. Stay strong 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.