Advice needed increased dose

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi my doc increased my dose from 1x 75mg slow release to 2x 75mg slow release. Went to pharmacy and they usually give me exeffor xl slow release but have given me amphero xl slow release. Done increase dose for two days and was up all night last night being sick and upset stomach. Would this be related to change in tablets or increase in dose or nothing at all? Luckily I am off work until

Monday so I hope what ever it is settles

Help

Rhian

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rhian

Why did the pharmacist give you amphero xl, and what is that in comparison to effexor ?

Not really sure why the pharmacist changed the prescription your doctor gave you, they are not entitiled to do so.

Julie

• Posted

It is the same medication. I would link it to the increase dose. Usually settles within 48 hours. If it does continue, contact your GP again. Hope this helps
  • Posted

Yes I think it is the same just different brands??
    • Posted

Oh ok.

If its just a different brand, personnally i don't think that would have made you feel the way you did. Just like coming off of effexor starting/increasing the dosage could be a nightmare until your body gets used to it. It took me 2 months to get used to being on effexor and now i am slowly coming off of this horrible drug slowly by decreasing 10% every 4 weeks.

Julie

• Posted

I've Googled both brands and there doesn't seem to be any different. My pharmacist changed from Effexor xl capsules to Venlalic xl sustained release tablets (same dose level), and I noticed no difference. Doctors usually prescribe the named drug - ie. venlafaxine, then pharmacist provides whichever brand they have. It could be the increased dose that is temporarily upsetting you, or it could be a tummy bug?
    • Posted

hi pixie the xl tablets or capsules does that mean immediate release?

• Posted

The xl means sustained release. They release the drug steadily over 24hrs. So you only need to take it once a day, but your body gets a constant supply of the drug.
    • Posted

I find these a lot better. Slow release over the day. Better when working I find x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.