Advice needed on the Sinclair Method

Posted , 8 users are following.

Good Day. This is my first attempt at stopping or alternatively, slowing down my consumption. Please bear with me, as I have a number of quiestions.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

for me there is no slowing down..but only to stop.

I haven't managed the STOP point so well either.

What are your questions?  I had 8 years sobriety..

What it is about is taking care of your self...buying yourself things....eating good food....caring about your life and making boundries...I suck at all of it

• Posted

I have been doing Research on Selincro (Nalmefene) as a possible alternative. I have been drinking from a very young age, and working in an environment where drinkinging was an ongoing affair for many years.

I have stopped both anti-depressants, and Diazepam about a year ago, but I find I drink too much in social environments, mostly to ease social anxiety. 

I tend to sip slowly otherwise. I have no desire to be drugged again - 8 years of being semi-aware is no life at all. 

I normally drink every day, but have stopped about 48 hours ago - as a sort of dare to myself that I can. 

• Posted

Can anyone tell me if Selincro (Nalmefene) is available in South Africa?
    • Posted

I answered this on another thread but, in case you missed that answer, I am not sure but, if it isn't, Naltrexone may be.
    • Posted

Hi Tania,

Selincro is most definitely NOT available in South Africa so you would need to use the medication called naltrexone.  Several companies make naltrexone and I know, once upon a time, the brand name in South Africa was called Revia.  And I know another has been available which is called Naltima.

You will need your doctor to prescribe though as it is a scheduled medication and cannot be issued with a doctor's approval.

• Posted

Fire away Tania smile One of us here will have answers, I am sure smile
    • Posted

Sorry - was reading all your replies on several other threads. Got a bit lost. So..48 hours and aside from irritabilility (probable the eight cups of coffee I've had so far today) I don't feel any particular pysical craving.

Just a niggling in the back of my head. Considering that I have been an almost daily drinker for almost 30 years, I find that surprising. As I said, Alcoholism is a problem on both sides of my Family Tree. 

I see a Councillor at least twice a month, so that side is covered. Alcohol has never been broached as a possible problem, but I will discuss it with him tomorrow. Unfortunately, a Psychologist cannot prescribe drugs. 

You give excellent advice, by the way

• Posted

It is a condition that runs in families, Tania.

Just pay attemtion to how you feel because alcohol withdrawal symptoms can come on anything up to 72 hours after the last drink, although most people experience them much sooner than that.

Thanks for the nice comment smile

• Posted

Hi Ya Tania

Same as Paul I read your first post on another thread. I would like to confirm what paul said as well about the 72 hours+, i hope you have someone with you?

I know you have decided already how you are going to reduce/stop your drinking which is a positive step. However i would just like to give you a few things to think about which i hope help and assure you that you are doing the right thing in reducing /stopping your alcohol consumption.

I was concerned to here you have been diagnosed BPD, which is believed to be gentic as well. Which may answer why previous generations in your family misused alcohol??? its worth discussing with your psychologist.

You also say you drink more to ease your social anxiety? This as im sure you are aware called self-medicating. Which puts you at high risk of forming an alcohol dependency.

I hope TSM works for you and you get the medication you need in SA. "Good luck and all the best".

Allan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.