Advice needed please

Posted , 5 users are following.

My husband showed signs of memory problems and had a memory assessment at the memory clinic. He did very well and the nurse said it may just be mild cognitive problems. The consultant has checked hubbys CT scan and suggested hubby has an MRI scan as the CT scan wasnt clear so he couldnt make a diagnosis yet. The CT scanner guy said the scans were good clear pics so why would hubby need an MRI? Needless to say he's now worrying! Anybody got any ideas please?

Thank you..

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

How old is your husband? How long  has this been going on?

When you have conversations, does he make sense when he replies?

Is he forgetting where things are in the house, and forgetting appointments etc?

I am asking these questions because I am a Speciaist Dementia Nurse, and if can give me more information it would help me to build up a picture of what is happening to your husband,

Love Tess xxx

• Posted

Hi tess,

Hes 68yrs old. Forgets appointments sometimes and finds it hard to focus on things. I know the signs of Alzheimers as my mother has it and hes not anywhere near as bad as that! Did quite well in the memory test. So wondering if there was something on the CT scan but needed checking with an MRI scan? Dont really know im just guessing? X

• Posted

Btw yes he does make sense when chatting to him. Forgets where hes put things sometimes but i put this down to an "age" thing. Been going on about 12mths....no better but no worse either.

Thank you x

• Posted

Wait for the results of the MRI, Elaine.

If he isn't getting worse that sounds encouraging.

Please keep in touch

love Tess

• Posted

Waiting for the MRI appointment.....could be end of Oct. Will keep you informed. Thanks ladies 😊

• Posted

Elaine, an MRI gives much more information than a CT scan. In continental European countries CT scans aren't even used for dementia diagnosis or exclusion. Doctors go straight to the more expensive MRI, which tends to be the gold standard, especially for diagnosing vascular dementia. The fact that they're now sending your husband for an MRI doesn't automatically mean he has dementia or any other serious condition, just that they want to be sure about the diagnosis.

• Posted

Hi lilly,

Yes i understand what you're saying just worried in case they have picked up on something else hence tge MRI scan. My mother had a CT scan in the early days when her Alzheimers was newly diagnosed. They didnt send her for an MRI though. Im just a little concerned. X

• Posted

NHS cost-cutting. Sorry, but speaking as a former NHS nurse who moved to continental Europe 40+ years ago. MRIs much more expensive than CT scans but more effective. Like Tess says, stay calm and wait for the MRI results. The situation doesn't sound too dire. You're lucky to get an MRI in the NHS. Yes, and stay in touch. Tess knows what she's talking about.

• Posted

****Update****

Hubby saw the Consultant this week. Apparently, the MRI scan showed two tiny bleeds on the brain (TIA's). He diagnosed Mild Cognitive Impairement which can make him a higher risk to go on and get dementia. The Consultant is going to arrange a special scan (like an angiogram but for the brain) to try and find the cause of the bleeds.

Elaine.

• Posted

Thanks for the update, Elaine. Glad to hear you're getting somewhere with the investigations. It sounds as if they might even find something treatable.

Is your husband following general lifestyle recommendations? I mean things like not smoking, keeping his weight at a reasonable level, doing moderate regular exercise, avoiding excessive salt and carbs, eating plenty of green veg, oily fish etc. All these are things that can make a significant difference, even if they won't stave off vascular dementia for ever.

• Posted

Hi,

He doesnt smoke as gave up many years ago. Hes trying to do more exercise. As for diet well he wont, and never has eaten veg! Hes a picky eater and always has been so changing the diet will be hard.

The Consultant said hubby is already taking the right medication and hasnt prescribed anything.

• Posted

Pity about the veg. How about fruit? Especially the citrus kind. Fish oil capsules are very good, if he won't eat oily fish - or even in addition. I assume you're in the UK, so get the 7 S**s brand from the Big B, they're about the best. I've taken a capsule ever day for almost 40 years now. (Sorry about abbreviations - they don't like advertising on this site!)

• Posted

He likes some fruit but is a diabetic so will have to watch the sugar intake.

Good idea about the fish oil capsules! Will buy some, thank you ☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.