Advice needed please

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi everyone 

brief summary

i damaged my lumber spine about 37 years ago in a motorcycle accident. I walked unaided after 2 years intense physio. Aged 48 my problems really started back and leg pain then 2 years later neck pain. April last year I started having shoulder issues, initially told frozen shoulders both. In November last year I had a subarachnoid haemorrhage and my mobility is virtually zero I have to use a wheelchair.

today a letter arrived as surgeon treating me for frozen shoulders arranged a new MRI of neck. He now thinks I need intervention from a neuro surgeon, bearing in mind I seen a neurosurgeon in 2014 who refused to do anything with multi level disc degeneration and c5 nerve root block. Recent MRI is showing c4/5 c5/6 bilateral foraminal stenosis and he is blaming this for shoulder pain and impringement im also having balance issues and terrible upper rib pain especially around my upper back.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wall,

not really sure what your asking but I can totally relate to the discs in your neck cauing problems with your shoulders. I was diagnosed with a bugling disc and left sided stenosis c6/c7 in 2014. I was getting pins and needles and pain in my left arm.

However at he end of last year i started getting a different kind of muscle spasm in my left arm and shoulder, within a coulpe of weeks of this my left shoulder had frozen, i also have a type 3 acronium bone so this was now carving into my shoulder tendon. I have now had an operation on my shoulder and I'm getting a lot of the movement back, but I still cant seem to make my employers understand that the root cause lies with the disc and stenosis in my neck. I see a neurosurgeon tomorrow, hopefully he can explain this to them as I would now like to retire early and go with what remains of the disc in my neck.

• Posted

Hi Sean

I was wondering if anyone had had surgery for this. I feel your pain with frozen shoulders but my orthopaedic surgeon wouldn't operate as he knew via MRI it's my neck causing it. I also have severe arthritis in my left ac joint.

I know what it's like struggling to work when your in constant pain I also have lumber stenosis with multiple disc damage and had a recent MRI of lumber and thoracic spine. I had a brain haemorrhage last November and can only stand a few minutes and walk a couple of steps without constant pain which I have to lean forward for a bit of relief. I also now have arthritis in both knees both hips both wrists. Scary that I feel I'm getting closer to being wheelchair bound.

I tried for ill health retirement with work I'm public sector but they refused. They finally finished me on capability grounds a year gone February. Employers try to show empathy but they haven't a clue the daily battle we go through, medication doesn't stop the pain.

Thanks for replying and all the very best for your ill health retirement.

Wendy x

• Posted

Hi wall,

yes i had surgery on my shoulder, it was supposed to be 4 weeks recovery, it took me about 12 weeks due to whats going on with my neck. never been put down like that in my life, you sound like you have a lot of issues going on and that they are afraid to do any surgery, for fear of making things worse. i intend to have a disc replacement in my neck, but not before i make the pension people understand what this condition does to us. I hope you get some resolve along the way.

• Posted

Thanks Sean

Keep fighting. I really wish I'd had done now but I don't have the strength at the time. Let me know what happens.

Good luck

Wendy

• Posted

Went to see Neuro on Thursday, unfortunatley the cervical disc space is now so small he cant put a repalcement disc in, it would have to be fusion surgery. However he wants me to try an EMG test as he reckons I might also have a problem with the nerves in my elbow. He says the disc damage in my neck was most likely caused by a trauma as the other six discs are in very good condition for my age(50) so the trauma has been caused by the same company who are still at present refusing to give me ill health retirement?? Some of these big companies can get away with murder 
    • Posted

Keep fighting.

I've had worse news damage from c4/5/6/7 and upper back is also affected but they haven't said to what extent but I'm getting increased pain in my ribs of upper back and sides. I've been informed by 2 consultants my orthopaedic surgeon and stroke unit that I urgently need to see a neurosurgeon and a spinal surgeon so it's watch this space as it looks like my full spine is basically a mess , hence why my mobility is so impaired. It's took me 5 years to try and get answers and help and I really think I should have had surgery sooner.

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

hope you get a date for your surgery soon and that it goes well. I'm not worrying about what my company says now, I'm going to have the EMG already had another MRI. if the neuro says surgery he will have to back my application for ill health in order for me to have it, even if i have to self fund the operationwindow.post_1490035770473_36 = function(win,msg){

win.postMessage(msg,"*"wink;

}

• Posted

Bless you Sean

I was public sector and lost my job on capability grounds due to having so much time off in hospital and having hospital appointments which I know is ridiculous but unison weren't much help. It's so unfair us dealing with health issues and work, trying to fight to keep our jobs too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.