Advice needed please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been recieving PIP standard living since December 2016 due to my disability (dwarfism)

I am 27 and looking at driving to gain some sense of independence, problem is i would need an adapted car.... which is only avaiable via Mobility on PIP high rate for mobility.

please advise what i should do.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I remember you when you first claimed PIP. I'm guessing you didn't recieve the motability part of PIP, just the Daily living part? May i ask how many points you scored for Motability part? You'll need 12 points for Enhanced which will give you access to the car (however even then you're more than likely going to have to pay a lot extra for a specially adapted car) Unless an automatic would be suitable for you. I have no idea of your circumstances (your height)

Anyway, has your condition got worse? The criteria for Enhanced is 20 metres or less. If your condition has got worse and you have proof of this with plenty of evidence then you could report the changes. By doing so though you do risk losing what you already have because they'll look at the whole award again. The form they'll send you would be exactly like the first one you had. Then there's a high possibility you'll be asked to attend another f2f assessment. If you'd had an award now of Standard Mobility too then i'd say risk it but because you don't have this then it could be very risky. Was there a reason you didn't ask for the Mandatory Reconsideration before? The choice is yours i personnally wouldn't risk it and i've been in your situation before. My first time award i was just 2 points away from Enhanced. Desperately needed that car to improve my quality of life but no way was i going to risk what i already had. I waited until my renewal date. How long till your renewal date please?

• Posted

Hi Denise, 

I was rewarded 10 points back in December, i didnt fight against it because i didnt want to risk losing what i was given.

My situation hasnt got worse as such.... from January i went back into full time employment and from Janauary i have constant back pains because my job is alot of walking and standing around. Sometimes its that bad i take days off...

My renewal is 2026... Its just i dont know where to turn to regarding driving. I am 4ft4

• Posted

Hi Natalie, so you have an award of Standard for daily Living and Mobility? sorry i'm confused.

• Posted

No, only for living.

I have enquired about driving and I'm told to get an adapted car I would have to be getting enhanced on mobility.

As i get nothing for mobility I'm seeing myself not being able to drive.

• Posted

I see. Yes you'll need 12 points in Mobility part of PIP (Enhanced) to be able to have to car. Even with this any substantial adaptions you'll need to pay for yourself.

As you say your condition hasn't really got worse and it's only 4 months since your award started i would seriously think very carefully about what you do. Reporting changes when there isn't any you could shoot yourself in the foot so to speak. You'll need a lot of evidence to support your claim again. If you had at least Standard Mobility (8 points) in the moving around part then i'd say maybe it's worth the risk but you don't have that. They will look at the whole award again and you risk losing what you already have. Is £200ish per month worth losing? I would think not. It's entirely your choice but Enhanced Mobility (12 points) is whats needed for the car. Risking a 10 year award this close into starting you PIP. This is a walking distance of 20 metres or less. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

• Posted

I meant 8 points in Mobility and not just "moving around part" sorry can't edit posts. Annoying sometimes lol

• Posted

Hi Denise I agree, you need to be sure its worth losing what you already have, its obviously not easy to acquire a car that's OK for you to drive but an automatic with wooden blocks to raise pedal's, this can be achieved by a good diy,er or purchase on eBay, no reason why this can't be done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.