advice needed please

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi everyone hope someone can answer my question i've been on propranolol 10mg 3x daily so 30mg a day for anxiety for over a year trying to taper to 20mg a day my gp has perscribed me 10mg of citalopram to take but i'm worried as to take it alongside the propranolol he said it will be fine to take but i'm worried if i will get any bad side effects takeing the two tablets anyone else takeing both meds just need some reasurance please

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

its fine ro take both together - my Gp prescribed them abd i did it for a while

• Posted

I started out on 3 × propananol daily and then like you was started on 10mg citalopram. I did get bad side effects to start on citalopram but I just took the propananol when needed.

It is fine to take both.

I am now on 20mg citalopram and only need to take the propananol occasionally.

Give the citalopram plenty of time to work. It can be unpleasant to start but will be worth it in the end. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Wendy ,taking the 2 medication that you asked about is fine,just remember that citrolopram takes about 10/12 weeks for side effects to go when using citrolopram ,however since you are taking the minimum dose of citrolopram 10 mgs ,the side effects may go quicker

• Posted

I take 80 mg propanol each day with citalopram so they are fine together

• Posted

hi laura how long have you been on propranolol i'm worried as i've heard horror stories about taking a/d's with beta blockers i've been on citalopram before over 10yrs had no prob with them but wasn'nt on any other med just worried about side effects

• Posted

I take propranolol with mine and its absolutely fine to take together x

• Posted

I'm on my 5th week taking the 2 together.. last week I asked the doctor how long do I take propanol for.. his answer was a good while yet.. xx

• Posted

great it works for you. i didnt find it did much - slowed heart rate but not much else and i still felt anxious

• Posted

where you having palpitations ?is that why you take the high blood pressure med?

• Posted

that beta blocker slows your heart beat only it does not get rid off anxiety.it is not a med to treat anxiety .on the contrary high blood pressure meds bring on depression as a side effect.best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.