advice needed please about doctors pescribing !!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday I want to change my antidepressants they are not working for me been on them two years I want to know can a doctor refuse to change my medication ??

It's not working and side effects I can not cope with please could someone advice me thank you 😊

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Your doctor can do as he pleases regarding doling out medication , but why would he? If your not seeing any improvement on the ones your on I can't see any logical reason why he wouldn't be willing to try you on something else. But hey we all know logic and anxiety don't mix!
    • Posted

My doctor does not listen to me so it's hard for me to even go and ask him he's not the one taking it ! Well if he refuses I may have to change him thank you for your reply 😊
  • Posted

Yes you can refuse treatment. You should be part of your treatment and agree to it.

If you are conscious enough to realize that medication is not helping why continuing on that path? Have you tried self help programs? They do work I am a leaving proof of it.

Anyway you doc can only advise you, but not force you.

• Posted

Thanks I think he will not want to change it but I know how I feel and how I should feel I have tried to not have medication in the pastthinking I would be ok .....massive mistake I ended up in hospital I think I may be just one of those people that does need medication 😊
  • Posted

The only reason a doctor will refuse to change your medication is if that doctor is getting commission from the pharmaceutical company who manufacture the current medication s/he is prescribing to you. My advise...change doctor. See another one and tell them the old medicine you've been taking for 2 years doesn't work for you.

Some doctors are fraud.

• Posted

Really that would explain a few things it's very much looking like I will need to change that in its self is stressful but this is the second time I have been put on the same medication that does no good for me thank you for your reply 😉
  • Posted

Hi Louise, 

If your doctor does refuse to change your prescription (which I doubt - have you any grounds to think this, or is this just a worry you have had?) then I would argue to them that the NHS is currently paying for you to take a drug that isn't helping you get better in the slightest - wouldn't it be better to put that money to better use and try an alternative? It may also be worth looking into how you could take this further (ie: whether you could complain to the General Medical Council or anything). 

As stated in other comments you can always change drs, but remember that your new dr will know nothing about you (other than what they read in your notes). Sometimes this can be a bit of a set-back if you have a complicated medical history.

Surely if it was down to the cost of the medication this could be taken further as they clearly do not have your (as the patient's) best interest at heart?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.