Advice needed please - Newbie with allergies & intolerances

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone

So, I will try to keep this as short as possible. As a child I had eczema and underlying asthma (no inhaler). I had known allergies to penicillin, all cats and most dogs. As an adult these continued along with congestion, mouth breathing, dark circles, fatigue. 3 years ago my husband and I got a miniature schnauzer puppy for our little girl (hypoallergenic). To my delight I had no wheezing or itchy eyes as with cats and dogs. However, since then I have started to wheeze after eating certain foods and drinks, I have had hives on my neck, thighs and hands. My congestion and fatigue have been terrible along with upset tummy and indigestion. My allergy results are in (blood finger prick test) and are as follows;

Allergies: Soy, shrimp, peanuts and almonds

Intolerances: Maize, tuna, cabbage, zucchini, sweet lupin, lentils, green peas, green beans and sweet basil.

I am a 37 year old woman who eats quite healthily, has no other health issues, is a slim healthy weight and a non-smoker so this is quite a shocker. Suddenly, half of the foods I eat are off limits and this will be a nightmare with my family to cook for too. I'm not sure if getting our beloved dog somehow made my allergies a lot worse or if it was my attempt at being a vegetarian (I switched to Vivera products for a while) which are basically 80% Soy. Either way I am clueless and any advice on the allergies themselves or food ideas etc would be much appreciated. Every item I read the label of has either Soy or maize/corn or both in which is freaking me out.

P.S. I react very badly to eggs as apparently they are full of soy as the chickens are fed on soy

If you read all of this then thank you

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Sarah I'm exactly the same, I've recently been diagnosed with a disorder called mcas (mast cell activation syndrome). I have a ridiculous amount of allergies and with mcas they change all the time. you should get looked into for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.