Advice needed - possible flare

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi friends - my life has been rather complex lately. Have had PMR for 5 yrs, had been on3 mg past 6 mo. Last Feb I was diagnosised with Gall Bladder cancer that had spread to the liver. Both were successfully removed and lymph nodes clear. I am on 3rd of 4 cycles of chemo, solely for purpose of making sure there are no cancer cells in blood stream. Surgeon had been concerned about possible PMR flare but none came. (Surgery was April 14). Past week I have had bilateral low back pain radiating to both thighs, ibiphrophen little effect. Yesterday back pain gone, but in right hip to the point of limping all day. That's gone back and thigh pain back! Everyone on this forum dreads going backwards, but should I try increasing the pred? Big question is by how much to get an effect and then how long before I try lowering it?

your forum has been so much help and I thank you all!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm not entirely convinced this is "just" PMR - it sounds more like spasmed muscles in your lower back which are irritating your sciatic nerve and leading to referred pain or possibly bursitis. Both may be better dealt with using other approaches rather than just raising your dose of pred. 

• Posted

Thanks Eileen! I think you are dead on! This morning I woke with no pain then bilateral low back. Advil finally kicked in an hr later. Then food shopping kicked off the right hip pain. Shall peruse that avenue. Sounds silly, but a relief not to mess with the pred. Your dead slow method has worked beautifully...much appreciated.😘

• Posted

biggrin

sorry, forgot this forum has emoijis!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.