Advice needed - Toe Spacers?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, hope you're all doing well.

I'm two weeks into my recovery from bilateral bunion surgery and just had my follow up consultation yesterday.

I was slightly disappointed to find that my big toes aren't as straight as I'd hoped and there is also the appearance of small bunions present on both feet.

I had a great surgeon so I know the result is a good one and that my expectations are probably too high, but I'd like to give toe spacers a go to see whether I can widen the gap between my big and second toes.

Has anyone on here used toe spacers post-surgery? If so which type did you use? Also did they help at all?

Thanks for any advice, it's much appreciated!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Johny

​After two weeks there will be a lot of general swelling around the bunion area and also toes.  It can take 12 months for your feet to return to their correct shape.  That was certainly true for me.  You may find that the gap is bigger when the swelling goes down and the bunion you think you see is just swelling.  I think you should ask your surgeon about using the spacers as he/she will know if you need them and also be able to warn you if they could harm your recovery.

​Hope you continue to recover well and get the feet you hoped for in the end!

• Posted

Hi

I am six weeks post left bunion op

Past few days I have thought the same

At first the big toe looked straight and now looks like leaning over and bunion still there

I'm hoping it's just as it's swollen

I've rang hospital and they were ment to call me back but that was hours ago the can't be too worried

Get checked if your concerned

I have ordered a gel spacer too and will find out if I can use it

• Posted

Hi Victoria

?If you think about it, the swelling on the bunion area is going to make it look more like the toe is leaning over.  Also the swelling is likely to be an issue for some time, especially when you move about more.  This was the case with me and my toes are really straight now.  Its been 2.5 years since I had both feet done and it took a year before I was in a pre-op size shoe.  It's great now, the best thing I have ever done..

• Posted

Hi

Really hope so

Swelled a lot more since being out of a bandage

I don't mind wearing bigger shoes but was panicking it was moving over again to toe as looks like t

Did yours do this

Vicky

• Posted

Did the gap between your toes increase as your swelling dissipated? I understand that it's probably the swelling that creates the appearance of a small bunion still being there but my big toe is still slightly pressed against my second toe - this is why I am considering a spacer to try and straighten it out some more.

• Posted

Yes, I had a lot of swelling and the toes touched, I now have a big gap.
    • Posted

Yes, it looked completely different at 6 weeks compared to now.  The swelling was actually more at 6 weeks due to the fact I was getting about, particularly in the evening. 
    • Posted

Wow. Thanks for the insight, that's very encouraging!

• Posted

Back to my original question - can anyone that's used toe spacers advise which type to get? I'm looking for one that I can use 24hours a day (even sleep in) - there's several different types on amazon and they all have mixed reviews - ideally I'd like advice from someone who's used them successfully post surgery. Thanks!

• Posted

I also sleep with mine as the gel is so soft that it's virtually impossible to feel it . Highly recommend the one from Boots ... about £5 x

• Posted

Cool, I actually went ahead and bought a couple of types - I got a Velcro strappy splint type thing to wear at night and a gel spacer that goes in between the big toe and second toe and also shields the area where the bunion was. I'll report back once I've used them as reference for others. Thanks for the replies!

• Posted

I used one last year after 12 weeks healing and it does straighten your big toe more . Very comfortable and I ve continued using it most days since . I bought mine from Boots the chemist x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.