Advice needed. Update after Methimazole overdose

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I posted several days ago that I was on a diet of 60mg-80mg of methimazole a day, and developed whole body hives and swollen joints after about 20 days.  

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/methimazole-side-effects-endo-says-thyroid-removal--629531

I have stopped methimazole for almost 6 days, and on oral steriod for 5 days.  My joints are almost healed (arms still a bit sore), and hives are so much better (only occasional flare ups especially at night).

These are my latest test taken yesterday (some results haven't been released)

FREE T3 3.4 pg/mL  (2.0 - 4.4 pg/mL)

THYROXINE, FREE T4 1.18 ng/dL (0.82 - 1.77 ng/dL)   

TSH 0.007 uIU/mL (0.450 - 4.500 uIU/mL)

My liver function panel is normal as well.  My protein is a on the lower range...

PROTEIN,TOTAL 6.6 g/dL (6.0 - 8.5 g/dL) 

I am seeing my endo tomorrow.  Yes, the same endo who OKed my 60mg dosage and I am looking for a new one.  But should I anyways try pushing my endo to do one of the following?

1) change my medication to PTU after my hives completely heals?

2) go on a much lower dosage of methimazole after my hives completely heals?

3) stop the medication for a while since my T3 and T4 is normal and take Carnitine to try to make my TSH to go up?

Which way should i push my endo to go? 

Also, my eyes are having worse double vision than before.  Is there any vitamins I should take? anything to help the double vision?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you had your eyes checked by an Ophthalmologist?  I would get that done.  The supplement recommended for Graves patients for eye problems is Selenium, 200 mg or mcg or 2 Brazil nuts a day.  Your values are where mine were at after I was started on 10 mg of Methimazole.  If you have Graves, you can either do the Natural treatment of Bugleweed, Motherwort and Melissa or you can take a very low dose of Methimazole 5 mg or 2.5 mg plus the Carnitine  at 3,000 mg a day.  Vitamin D is very important as well.  Glad you are doing better with regard to the hives and aching limbs.                                  
  • Posted

Hi Wendy 

I have similar levels like you while my TSH is 0.02. My doctor did not gave me methimazole because the T3 and T4 and in the normal range and we are monitoring every two months. I was taking a beta blocker 10mg for palpitations but I stop taking it and feel much better. I started taking L-Carnitine and also a complete multi vitamin  and Omega -3 and I am feeling better from the symptoms. You should discuss with your Doctor there are many natural ways to improve. dr Amy Meyers book is very helpful. 

• Posted

Great advice from Linda and  Patricia

I weaned off Carbimazole with Regular  L Carnitine till I felt stable and started on my vitamins , minerals and nutrients 

Selenium is the boy for  Eyes .. and although Brazil nuts are a great source  , it rather depends on whether the soil  that they grow in ,  is suitable  , or has been spoiled by fertilisers etc 

Enjoy a few Brazil nuts anyway 

Very nutritious ...

So Selenium 200mg   Is a great solution ..

also keep your eyes moisturised  .. lubricated drops or even a little coconut oil melted on the tips of your fingers and gently applied  at bedtime  is helpful .

Bugleweed

Motherwort

Melissa .....          

Mix together in equal proportions ,  in liquid form  , into a brown glass bottle ... and 

Take  2/3 teaspoons    2 or 3 times a day  .. or when you feel very anxious ..  you will feel the effects of calm very quickly 

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

My latest TSH is 0.018, which previously was 0.006. So i am glad my TSH went up as well.

I started selenium, and L carnitine and CoQ10. Waiting for my bungleweed and other herbs from Amazon. Will report back with my next test result.

However, today is the 7th day i have stopped my methimazole medication. My rash actually got more frequent than last couple days. My right arm is also hurting a bit worse. My side effects were improving the whole week until it got worse today.

I am a bit worried... how many days does it take for methimazole to be out of your system? Would these side effects be permanent?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.