Advice: Newly Diagnosed Type 2 in a wheelchair, what can I do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, so at 11:30 yesterday morning, my GP finally tells me that I am type 2, but not much else. Makes an appointment for me to see a nurse on Wednesday 10th Feb, 2016) and gives me some diastix (urine testing strips), telling me to go home and test myself at random once or twice a day.

The GP also has changed one of my other medications because apparently it is loaded with sugar. The only thing the GP did say was that I needed to completely cut sugar and starches out of my diet, something which I will do, but am already finding there is sugar in things like the sugar free squash I use and in bread.

What should I be entirely cutting out; what should I be avoiding, and what can I still eat?

Also; any more general advice. I am in a wheelchair 24/7, so physical exercise is very limited.

I am on a LOT of other medications (including a mixture of both liquid and long release morphine, at around 600 to 700mg per day.)

I am on benefits and feel extremely lucky to be so, even if having tried working and volunteering in the past has left me in hospital, I'd still give my left arm to do it if I could. Unfortunately it's just not practical.

So erm; I guess what I want is advice and help. I know virtually nothing and am kinda scared to eat anything now. But I know there are a lot of people who live with this condition and make it through the day. So I will be able to; I just need to be a bit more informed. That's all.

Thanks in advance;

Christopher.

I am in a wheelchair and use a urine bottle, so testing this way is a lot easier than I would have thought it would be for most people. (#perksOfTheChair)

But I must admit; I do not really know anything and there seems to be so much conflicting advice out there.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Iv got my self soup maker you just put anything i n stock cube flowering curry spices it takes 22 mins all done I use a lot frozen vegetables veg left over from meal ham peas its very filling ! Does for evening meal I know ready meals are high salt suger etc if can't cook what about meals deliver to door ? Yes I got eye test too !
    • Posted

Hi Lottsey;

How thick does the soup come out? That sounds like a really good idea, but if the soup is too thin then I'm afraid I'd spill it everywhere and then have to pay the cleaner to come out every day. At the moment she comes once every two weeks and I cannot afford more than that.

I am still pretty much in a state of panic here, my GP has picked this week to go on holiday as well, which doesn't help matters at all.

• Posted

I'm sorry not replayed sooner but been bit manic here with app family etc but with the soup maker you can make it as thick as you like the more veg meat etc you put in the thicker the soup ! It has smooth setting or chunky setting also you can make friut smoothies with it they also can be as thick as you like ! Hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi wheels. Sorry for your trouble. I too have diabetes 2. I'm 77 and very diet conscious I didn't eat cake for over a year. Just afraid. I also was 50lbs overweight. Now I've lost 25 lbs and allow myself to relax a little. I check my blood daily and my aic is under 6. I take 1/2 metformin a day. I love 40 calorie fudge pops and I love pasta. Trick with pasta for me. Keep it under 4 ounces and let it cool off before eating or reheating. I read this trick also works with rice. Remember. 4 ounces I only eat small portion of chicken or ground turkey. I eat large salad with reduced dressing. I eat whole wheat bread and little

Fruit. Keep in touch

Sandy

• Posted

Hi Sandy, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm massively overweight, according to the dietary nurse who used to visit me, this is because I don't eat enough, which doesn't help.

I am on two metformin per day now, and have stopped eating all the junk food, or anything that remotely has any sugar in, like yogurt! Of all things, yogurt! It had so much sugar in it I was absolutely shocked.

I'm still yet to have any appointments from the dietetics or anyone else. I'm not even sure who they are referring me over to if I am honest.

I've completely cut out pasta and the like, and am eating almost nothing other than the prepackaged salads. The only problem is that I am finding myself with no energy and feeling really unwell, as if I am going to vomit.

The only place I cannot cut sugar out is my medication, where I am aware of two of the medications which I take that do not have sugar free alternatives.

• Posted

Check out Google about my trick with pasta and rice. Eat a palm size portion of chicken or salmon. With salad Try a 40 calorie fudge pop once a day. Remember.Check your blood sugar daily

Sandy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.