Advice on being signed off work... rude doctor?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone!

So I'm not going to go into what my anxieties are etc but I have anxiety and a bit of depression too.

I've been on sertraline for a few months now and I'm definitely feeling more 'normal, whatever that is?!

Iv been signed off work since the end of January as I physically and mentally am not up to it. I work with young children so I wouldn't cope at the moment. Anyway, I see my usual Dr about once a month and she has been seeing how I am and offering to sign me off if I don't feel up to it, which I obviously havnt. Well I last saw her on Friday 10th and she once again asked what my plans were and if I needed another sick note. Well I declined her offer purely because I have still had 10 days left on my current sick note, she told me to come back if I would like to be signed off.

So fast forward to today, after a hard weekend of multiple panic attacks and low mood I figured I wouldn't be able to return on the 20th. So I tried to get an appointment with my lovely Dr but found out she's on leave all this week. So I had to see someone else. This Dr I saw today was really rude asking what exactly my anxieties were and why I thought being off work would help?? So I explained and he told me he thought being off since the end of January is extremely excessive.... And would I like one more week off????? One more week? Was he being serious... Anyway I managed to get him to sign me off for 2 weeks. But I was just wondering, is being off work since the end of January excessive? So nearly 3 months?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would strongly agree that if you feel unable to work because you are unwell, then your doctor has a duty of care to you and and should not try to force you to do something that you feel unable to do.

As to how long is an acceptable time to be off work, well I believe that a person should only return to work when they are fit and feel able to do so.

By asking you 'what exactly your anxieties were' indicates to me that this doctor did not bother to read your notes (which is a common thing), otherwise he would have known. 

In my opinion you should make a formal complaint to your regular doctor when she returns from her vacation, as this type of 'playing God' behaviour is totally unacceptable.

A doctor is there to help and to advise you, but not to tell you what he thinks is right for you.

Was he by any chance a Tory do you think, as they seem to have done a spanking good job of regimenting our lives against our wishes?

• Posted

First of all Amber...I can totally see why you are unable to work right now. I also have anxiety, panic attacks and depression and also work with children. I have pushed on through pretending I can cope and found it a huge strain. I am now off work as I have an upper respiritory tract infection and chest infection. It is very difficult to concentrate, try and be upbeat, a necessity when working with 5 year olds! Pretending to my colleagues all is well, when it definitely is not. That is hard work. Unless someone has experienced severe anxiety/panic they can sympathise to their hearts content, but will never feel as we do when it rears its ugly head.

I suppose there comes a time when your employer might begin to ask when you are going to return to work. In the end I suppose you have to be healthy in body and in the right frame of mind to continue.

At least you have managed to buy some time for now until you can discuss your options with the lovely lady Dr. Everyones recovery time is different, so what works for one might not for others. Hope you find a solution soon.😌

• Posted

Absolutely not! If necessary, maybe you should apply for disability?

Then the pressure about work is not on you and you will have the time you need to get therapy, and ground yourself.

I've been on a kind of mission lol to tell as many people as I can how I have cured my anxiety in the past and now that I have discovered what i did that fixed it I am doing it again, only this time will be a lifestyle... Intermittent Fasting.

I do 8hr on and 16hrs fasting. This cured my anxiety in the past and am so excited to get there again. I am on day 3 now and each day i feel like my more of my anxiety is being lifted from me each day! It's a wonderful feeling.

Long story short, I've suffered for ten years and only this past year realized Reactive Hypoglycemia played a major role in my anxiety disorder; the cause of my attacks actually which then I created a fear of them. Intermittent Fasting cures Hypoglycemia.

Give it a whirl maybe. Look it up on Google. I hope this helped smile

• Posted

You need a plan to rejoin the world, you can't be off forever. Grab it by the scruff and take control. Yes you have anxieties. But you know most of the things you worry about aren't real, it's a state of mind and your body's reaction to that. Getting the over the top bodily reactions under control is and always has been only the first step towards getting back out there. Otherwise you have to acknowledge your anxiety rules your life, give in and work around it. Get a different job that you can cope with. Pare down your life. But wouldn't you rather treat your anxiety as a disease you want to get rid of, than a way of life? Time to choose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.