Advice on beta blockers

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi Ive been experiencing really bad heart palpitations that almost make me black out. im thinking of asking my cardiologist about beta blockers but wondering to see how its been for other people??

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

A very small dosage (12.5mg/day) of atenolol is very helpful to me.

There is a huge variation in these conditions and responses to drugs, unfortunately.

But it can work.

• Posted

so it'll be like a trial and error thing?? did you have any bad side effects?

• Posted

It does slow your heart rate. It does raise your blood sugar - though I might have something that helps there. It does give you more colorful dreams.

A larger dose makes me feel like a zombie, I can't understand how people take 50mg of this stuff a day!

Virtually all meds are a bit of trial and error, but heart arrhythmias seem to be some of the most variable, and all the different beta blockers are right up there too, so combining them - LOL!

• Posted

I had all the bad reactions possible but it did control my bp. My husband also takes them, no problems. My legs and feet were itching, i had insomnia, depression, weight gain, etc. worth a try, but keep in mind u need to get off them gradually. Good luck

• Posted

I did not have a good experience with Atenolol. I had uncontrollable depression symptoms. I had to get off them. I was only on 10mg. I went and seen a cardiologist and she said my BP was fine and I didnt need them. She confirmed that they cause serious depression. Just be careful.

• Posted

thank you everyone for your replies back!! yea my bp is slightly raised but been getting ringing in my ear. I mostly want it for the palpitations but... my heart rate is normal... worried it might effect that too. i hate meds all together.

• Posted

Hi, Christina, it depends, if you already have a cardiologist, maybe you already have a problem? they do slow the heart rate and get bp down a bit, and stop irregularity, it is just that they do have side effects for some people. i had bad side effects but have to use them sometimes, to calm the heart and stop irregularity, but now i know their effects i keep the dose very low, just when they are needed, not a perfect solution, but not yet found a better alternative

• Posted

christina69014...There isn't anything worse than taking a medication that either upsets or makes us feel sick. You stated you are experiencing palpitations. By all means, you should report this to your cardiologist. As for taking a beta-blocker only he/she and you can decide what would be best for you. Some people don't have any problems with a beta-blocker, while others do. I for one, could not take Metropolol because it gave me a terrific headache. I knew it was the Metropol because at the same time each day, I'd get the headache. You could set your watch by it. When I stopped taking the Metropolol, the headaches stopped. To be quite honest, the headaches were so bad, they frightened me. About a year or so later, my then-doctor prescribed Atenolol 50mg/day. I have not had any problems with it. A pharmacist friend of mine kindly explained the difference between the two. One (the Metropolol) is fat soluable, whereas the Atenolol is not...& that can make the difference to how the patient may feel.

Do consult the cardiologist.

• Posted

Be very weary of beta blockers! I was on Metoprolol for two weeks and had very bad side effects: sleep disturbances, weight gain (probably b/c the medication raises your blood sugar, so you're always hungry), depression. And it did not work for my symptoms (I was diagnosed with Supraventricular Tachycardia). After two weeks I was switched to calcium channel blocker (Cartia, which is an extended release form of diltiazem). That has been working much better with no side effects.

Through this message board I learned that there are different types of beta blockers: those that cross the blood-brain barrier, and those that do not. Metoprolol is in the category that crosses the blood brain barrier. I really felt it messed with my brain..

Take a hard look at your dietary habits: do you consume caffeine? Stop consuming it. Do you eat a lot of carbs and sugar? Cut out the sugar, limit your carbohydrates. Making these modifications could help reduce palpitations without resorting to medications.

Exercise every day. Reduce stress.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

thank you!! i actually hadn't had any palpitations all day, until I came home and had a coke... 15 min later, my heart is flipping!! this has never been so bad!! do you get them bad? do you ever worry they could be something serious??

• Posted

Yes I get them bad, and yes I think they could be something serious, in fact I know they are something serious. But if the doctors don't really have much to offer, they try to make believe they are not. Yes, people can live many decades with these "serious" things so I guess they have a point, but if I were being chased by a bear, well, the bear would get me. So make a note: avoid bears!

• Posted

FWIW normal amounts of caffeine, as in tea, coffee, or chocolate, don't seem a problem for me, in fact sometimes seem to help.

Though I gave up soft drinks like Coke twenty years ago now.

• Posted

christina69014...coke is loaded with both sugar & caffeine. This could be 'why' the palpitations started again.

• Posted

That coke probably caused the palpitations, as it has caffeine and lots of sugar. Both are triggers for palpitations and fast heart rate.

I was diagnosed with Supraventricular Tachycardia, a type of fast heart rate, and I am taking a calcium channel blocker for that.

I have also made lots of dietary changes (very little sugar, no caffeine, low amounts of carbs, very little alcohol) which help a lot.

I never drank coffee, but I did drink caffeinated tea. Now I only drink herbal teas. Celestial Seasonings' Sleeptime tea is very calming.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.