Advice on citalopram please.

Posted , 4 users are following.

i started taking 20mg of citalopram 5 weeks ago and I’m much better than I was. I have been on it before for anxiety but stopped taking it last year and I then started to struggle. I should have gone back on it sooner but I put it off and I just got so bad it was awful. Even though the anxiety isn’t causing me panic attacks I’m still waking up shaky and I’m having bad dreams, it takes be a few hours everyday to get myself going. Is this normal as I don’t remember having bad dreams last time, I do keep trying to tell myself that it will get easier with time but I’m not sure it will.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Good Morning Gemma,

Yes in the beginning I had uncontrollable jitters and sweats and headaches. It does pass very slowly. I found listening to music and mediate with focus on breathing helped me. Keep positive you will get through this, 

Keep us posted how you are doing. 

Will😎

• Posted

Thank you Will, I’m just trying to remain positive. It’s just it’s feels like it’s bad enough having to deal with the anxiety but I feel like I have no control over the bad dreams. I just keep trying to tell myself that it’s just my mind playing tricks on me and it will eventually stop. I’m just longing for a good relaxing sleep but I’m going to try a meditation app tonight.

• Posted

Gemma,

I am also on my 2nd time on citalopram. I'm in my 8th week and for the first few weeks I had a lot of trouble sleeping, then for a the next couple when I did sleep I also had a lot of nightmares, now I am sleeping pretty well and dont have nightmares but have more vivid dreams about just weird random things. The mornings are still a struggle for me, seems like it can take hours sometime til after lunch for the anxiety to lift.

• Posted

I find the mornings the hardest too, I find that I have to keep moving and that I always have to get ready and go out, even if I’m not at work because for me keeping busy helps it to lift. I don’t know if that means that I’m running from it rather than facing up to it though. I find that it’s the anxiety that I’m terrified of. I’m just hoping that one day I won’t have to go out and that I’ll feel ready to face it and not be afraid anymore. I wish u all the best, I’m sure you’ll get there too.
  • Posted

Yea I’m on my second time on citalopram and it’s a lot harder this time I’m on my 3 week and sleeping sucks for me but gotta get through it it’s just the side effects hope u get through it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.