advice on COPD please.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello.

My Sister who is 70 has been In hospital for over a week with COPD, has had for a while, Can’t even get out of bed for toilet, she Is on steroids for a blockage to Aroata  and also morphine for COPD, has been advised willl need oxygen when sent home. Can I. Please ask why is she having morphine as thought was given for pain. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank YOu

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, my husband was prescribed morphine for copd . The reason being to relax him and his muscles, helping him to breath more easily. It is usually a very low dose of morphing. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Many Thanks and much appreciated X
  • Posted

This is very odd since morphine depresses lung function. Ask at the hospital.
  • Posted

We were surprised at the time as I think we all think of morphine as a pain relief but 2 of his consultants prescribed it and encouraged him to use it. As I said previously it assists with tension and panic, especially if you are prone to breathing attacks.
  • Posted

from patient uk page:

Other medicines

Medicines such as morphine and codeine may be prescribed to try to reduce your coughing, and to help with breathlessness. Hyoscine is a medication that can be given to try to dry up secretions from your lungs. Anxiety is a common symptom when you are breathless. Morphine can help the feelings of anxiety. In some cases, other anti-anxiety medicines (such as diazepam) can be given. Depression and anxiety are common in patients with COPD, at all stages of the disease. You may already be prescribed medication for this.

Scroll down page under  End stage COPD

https://patient.info/health/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-leaflet

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.