Advice on diet change

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease last year and have been taking Carbimazole since September 2013. I started on a 40mg dose and have gradually reduced to 10mg. I initally felt that the medication was helping as I felt better but I seem to have reached a point where I'm not progressing any further. I have aches and pains and generally feel more tired that is usual. I feel bloated and am having wind problems. I've put back on all the weight I lost and have continued to gain weight. I am just about keeping it stable by being careful what I eat but I seem to put it on very easily. While trawling the internet for information I came across a recommendation for following a Paleolithic diet which basically cuts out sugar, dairy and wheat.

I wondered if anyone had tried this and what results they had? The sugar and dairy aren't really a problem but following a wheat/gluten free diet just seems to be so complicated.

Any advice would be great thanks. This forum has been a great find for me as I can see that other people are going through similar things and I mostly feel quite lucky that my symptoms aren't worse!

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have posted today elsewhere on this Board about the importance of working with your health care practitioner if you are going to try Acetyl-L-Carnitine. Also do your research online to learn more about it. And it is important to do frequent blood monitoring if you do try it.
  • Posted

Hi All

Hope everyone is doing ok & looking forward to a good weekend.

In respect of gluten, I never believed I ever had a problem with it, I ate it every day & never thought anything of it. However, since I've cut it from my diet I seem to have become quite sensitive to it. I stopped eating it towards the end of January & the odd time I have had some since I can really tell because it makes my arthritis much worse. I was in by myself last Friday evening & felt really fed & had a couple of bottles of beer but big mistake, I could hardly move the rest of the weekend so for me I know I really need to avoid it in future.

I'm not sure if anyone has seen the trailer for the movie due out next months, super juice me, it basically features 8 people who between them have 22 chronic diseases & they go on a juice fast for 28 days - the trailer reveals no more than that but I can only assume most of the issues clear up in this 28 day period! if that is true then perhaps thats our answer friends - juice on!!

For me, I have been doing some juicing but not really as meal replacements & one day last week after a couple of days where I had more juices I actually woke up feeling really good with my morning stiffness much reduced. I am convinced there is something in it but can't seem to manage on juice alone - I always want to eat too! Maybe I just need to get my mind in the right place first & just commit to it for say 3 to 5 days to see what happens. I think you probably need to fast for longer to see real healing results but 3 days would be a start. Maybe next week......

I will keep you posted.

Kind regards

Ann

• Posted

I think it is not unusual if you cut out gluten and then have something with gluten in it that you will really feel the effects. I have a friend who was diagnosed late in life with celiac disease. She always felt "sick" but didn't know what was wrong with her. When she got her diagnosis, she cut out gluten but if she happens to have some by accident, she gets a lot sicker than she ever was before she cut it out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.