Advice on Doctors visits for thyroid function

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

About 6 months ago my thyroid function was tested and came back as borderline for hypothyroidism so my doctor told me to have a test every 3 to six months, I've recently moved it university and had another thyroid function test only to be told that my thyroid level is "normal". I'm suffering with symptoms of fatigue, weight gain, cold sensitivity, brittle nails and many more and hypothyroidism also runs in my maternal bloodline. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience of just being what feels like brushed off by their doctor when their is clearly something not right and how they went about getting it properly investigated?

Thanks smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Danielle,

I suffer with Hypothyroidism.

I understand what you mean, you are displaying all the symptoms of hypothyroidism but your doctor simply cant diagnose this due to you having 'normal' levels.

Although I've been diagnosed with a severely underactive thyroid, my mum has symptoms like you and she went to our local GP and was told the same thing.

We both went to see an endocronoigist - which is something I would highly suggest for you to do. You may have an imbalance in your hormone levels, or may need thyroid medication even though your doctor has advised that you have 'normal' levels.

Doctors can only diagnose from symptoms.

An endocronoligist can diagnose tests and symptoms, therefore helping you a lot more than your local GP could.

Ask your GP if you can be reffered, it's well worth it! smile

Hope this helps..

Lizzie

• Posted

Danielle, I have had 8 doctors over the last 30 years blow me off, I say this with sympathy...welcome to the party. Do your own research and trust how you feel and DO NOT QUIT until you feel better. It took me 30 years, but I did it..you can, too.

Find a doctor who runs the labs you request. Here is a list of what I have learned are the most important things. You want your numbers to be optimal, not just within range. Double check me with other responses, but I think I'm on target.

Get your T3 where it needs to be and your symptoms will resolve.

TSH - Typically below 2.0

Free T4 - Top half of the reference range

Free T3 - Top half - top 25th percentile of reference range

Reverse T3 - low end of normal range

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibiodies (TPO) - within reference range

Vitamin D, keep it above 50 (immunologist says keep it above 60)

Ferritin (keep it above 60 if experiencing hair loss)

Good luck. Get as many opinions as it takes until you feel great!!!

• Posted

Thank you so much for you're advice, been back to the doctors to be told that my thyroid levels are so much within the normal band that I can't possibly have hypothyroidism so it's back to extensive blood tests sad 
    • Posted

You can always get a second opinion. It's so unfortunate in the UK that doctors will not test for free T-3 if your TSH is within the normal range. Some people go years with these symptoms and no relief because doctors refuse to test the free T-3 as deemed unnecessary. Maybe if enough people band together in your country you can make a change with the medical system and get some help. I had an endocrinologist tell me I was in menopause and that I should just eat less and the other symptoms with my stomach had no relation to hypothyroidism. Had I listened to that woman, who knows where I would be. I went and got a second opinion and then a third and now I am fine. And yes, it was my thyroid

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.