Advice on elective procedures

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All!

I am looking for anyone willing to share their experience with how well they have healed after having minor medical procedures.  I have varicose veins and bad spider veins that I would like to have treated.  Also, I'm sheepish to share this in today's culture of tattoos and body piercings, but I just would like to have my ears double pierced and am wondering if it would be asking for trouble. 

Thanks!  Karen

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen, I am elderly and have terrible varicose veins in the left leg. I had them removed when I was in my thirty’s and it was a breeze.  I saw the vein doctor several months ago thinking that maybe they could do laser surgery but he said they could not and I would have to undergo general surgery.  What bothered me was his statement to the fact that maybe I would not heal. I am on Methotrexate and Oriencia. I do not know if he was referring to the fact that because I am on those drugs that I would maybe not heal or did it have to do with my age.  Personally I did not like the doctor so I thought later on this year I would get another opinion.  Of course I would have to go off all medication.  I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your input.  The response to you from the vein doctor is discouraging, it is what I am afraid I'll hear if I start the process of talking to a surgeon about my veins.  It's frustrating, because mine aren't merely unsightly, they are painful.  I am 50, and I would imagine they will get worse with time. Would you mind me asking how long you have had RA, and if you had it at my age what was your experience with bruising and healing of cuts and bruises?  My RA was diagnosed just a few years ago, and I haven't noticed much difference in my healing or bruising.

• Posted

I have had RA for 5 yrs. severe when it started, out of the blue.  I have been on MTX and biologics almost since the beginning.  I dol not have a problem with bruising, only when the nurse takes my blood incorrectly!!!!! And that has only happened once.  I have not had any cuts or etc. so I don’t know how I would heal, as to the bruise from having my blood taken, it took 3 weeks to go away. 

• Posted

Thanks so much for your input, it is much appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.