Advice on endoscopy procedure ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 15 years old and I'm having an endoscopy in 19 days to check for abnormalities. I have recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease and am having the endoscopy to ensue that it's just coeliac disease. I have a few small questions about the endoscopy, they might sound a bit weird,

How long does it take ?

I'm having general anaesthetic because I am still a child, I didn't have the choice, what are the odds of me vomiting after the procedure ? (vomit is my biggest fear)

Around how long will I be in the hospital for (I know it all depends on the anaesthetic wearing off and how I feel afterwards, I'm just looking for an average time)

If you could answer these it would help me so much, thank you smile

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

The actual gastroscopy probably takes about 15-20 minutes itself, but as you're having anaesthetic, much longer from start to finish. Believe me, that is the best way to have it, you don't want to be awake when they do it.

The gastroscopy won't make you vomit, but anaesthetic sometimes makes people feel a bit ill afterwards. The nurse will be on standby with a cardboard type bowl just in case. You are not normally allowed to eat beforehand.

In answer to your last question, there is no average time. Some people are kept in overnight.

These answers are based on the UK, the US might differ.

• Posted

Hi Elliejane,

You really don't have to worry about vomiting. (I'm a former nurse, btw.) The endoscopy itself won't make you vomit. People sometimes gag and vomit a bit when they're having it without anaesthesia, but you won't have that problem as the anaesthetic suppresses your gag reflex. Back in the day, when I started my nursing career, anaesthetics often made people vomit afterwards but that's almost unheard of these days with modern products.

I can't say how long you'll have to stay afterwards. All depends on what anaesthetic agent they've used and how you react to it, as well as what they find, but it won't be more than 24 hours. Probably only an hour or two with modern anaesthetics. You'll probably feel just a bit woozy for a short time but these days, with modern methods, some people feel ready to go the minute they wake up. In any case, you'll only have a very light anaesthetic for a procedure like this.

You really don't need to worry at all about such a minor procedure. They'll do a biopsy of the part of your small intestine immediately below your stomach, which will confirm once and for all whether it's coeliac disease. If that's what it is, then you can get yourself on the right diet and get on with the rest of your life.

• Posted

I just had mind done last week and I was SUPER nervous...and I'm 33 years old.

I'll tell you my experience beginning to end.

My endoscopy was scheduled for 11:00am with check in at 9:30. To go over insurance and sign paperwork. I then went to a different part of the hospital where I waited and waited and had to give a urine sample. Finally they took me back to an area that had sectioned off beds behind curtains and asked me to take off my shirt and bra and change into a gotten and they checked my vitals; heart rate and blood pressure and they ask a TON of medical questions. Then the nurse inserted the IV into my arm (I was able to choose which arm). A little longer of a wait and they wheeled me to the procedure room. It was small and dark and they had soft music playing (that was nice). The nurses and doctor were sooo nice and explained everything to me beforehand. After a few minutes, the nurse told me "I'm giving you the sedative now) - into the IV tube and that's the last thing I remember. The actual procedure was about 5 minutes and then you're awake. They wheeled me to recovery where I only had to stay for about 10 minutes and they gave me some water. Then I was able to dress while my husband got the car and then they wheeled me down and I was able to go straight home. I did not have any bad side effects from the sedative, definitely no vomiting or nausea. I had no throat pain afterwards either...was able to eat and drink whatever I wanted. As a matter of fact, I went and got coffee immediately after lol.

You will do just fine! I know it's easier said than done to tell you not to stress because we all get nervous about things like this but it really is sooo easy. You won't remember any of it smile Honestly, for me, the hardest part was the wait from arrival until the actual procedure, but I also think they were running behind.

• Posted

*change into a gown.

I'd also like to point out that I am in the US.

With arrival at 9:30am for check in, the wait, the actual procedure, short time in recovery; it all took about 4 hours total but the ACTUAL endoscopy will only be between 5-7 minutes. Mine was 5 minutes and they took two biopsies also; one of my throat and one of my stomach.

Understanding that you're under a sedative, they only give you a small amount, just enough to knock you out for the short time needed, not enough to keep you under for hours.

Also, I'd like to note, so you're not taken by surprise, you will be asked to lay in your side (usually left side) and they place a circular ring in your mouth and have you bite down. This is to keep your mouth open during the procedure.

• Posted

Thank you so much this really helped me, just wanting to get it over with now. Thanks 😊

• Posted

You're very welcome! I cannot stress enough that sedation isn't as scary as it sounds. To he honest, I wouldn't have done it without sedation. It's really like you're getting a tiny little nap in the middle of the day. You're only asleep FOR the procedure. I was already awake BEFORE leaving the procedure room and remember them walking the halls...we passed the waiting room where my husband was and he was able to walk to recovery with us.

I know how scary it can be. I just wanted mine over with too. My actuall procedure date wasn't until the end of this month but I was freaking out so I kept calling asking for an earlier date; thankfully they had a cancelation and I was able to get in sooner.

Best of luck! You'll do great smile

• Posted

My my, having an endoscopy under a general anaesthetic certainly sounds far worse than having one without any sedation which is what I had a couple of years ago.  I am a very nervous person so was dreading it but when it actually came to having it it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. I had decided not to have the sedation so just had a spray in my throat which didn't taste very nice although I was assured it was banana flavour.  I lay on the bed on my side, a mouth guard was put in, not so much to protect my teeth but to stop me biting the endoscopy tube. I concentrated on swallowing, controlled my breathing and once the tube was down was able to look at the screen and see what was happening. I had a couple of biopsies taken which didn't hurt and then the tube was very slowly pulled out and after one gag that was it.  The doctor complimented me on how calm I had been and said that he wished he had done a video to show all his nervous patients (if only he knew!!)    If I have to have one done again I would certainly go for the no sedation option because after about 15 minutes and a drink I was able to go home while a man who had been given the sedation had to wait over an hour. Hope this helps someone  who needs an endoscopy. 

• Posted

That was my experience exactly except I thought the spray tasted like advocaat!

Know thyself applies here as so often and then there are always individual differences to be considered. It's the thought of being put out that panics me. 

Best wishes, elliejane. 

• Posted

I'm curious where you live? I'm in the U.S. I had sedation and just like you, after about 10-15 minutes in recovery and a few sips of water, I was able to dress myself and go home. Yes, I had to have someone else drive but I felt perfectly normal afterwards. They only give you enough sedation to put you out for a very short time. I should note that typically, it's not just endoscopies done in the ward that you're in; other people may be having colonoscopies or and combination of endoscopy/colonoscopy and that may be why they're in there longer.

• Posted

Hi Ellie Jane 

i will I'll try and answer for you, I am a nurse but I have also had an endoscopy myself recently so hopefully am giving you a medical and a personal experience view.

the endoscopy itself takes around 10-15 minutes plus xtra time for you to be anaesthetised and recover. Say around half hour before and at least an hour to recover, probably two.

Anasthetics have a tendency to make people nauseous/vomit have you had one before? If you're really worried don't be afraid to tell the staff you're worried about sickness and can they please give you something to prevent it.

plan on being at the hospital at least half a day minimum but more like 6 hours or so I reckon. Good luck hope all goes well.

• Posted

Yes I've had general anaesthetic before when I was 5 years old. I had an atrial septal defect that was quite big so have a stent in my heart. I cried when I woke up and vomiting wasn't an issue, but I'm terrified of it. Coming to think of it, if I did vomit it would be straight away right ? So I probably wouldn't even remember it because I'd still be a bit out of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.