Advice on flying

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, Im new to the group, and hoping for some advice. I was diagnosed with Acute Diverticulitis about a year ago, I didnt get any advise from do tor on how to manage it, and im not on medication. In January I went on a 6 hr flight the outbound flight was ok, but 4hrs into the return flight I had terrible pain from my lower stomach right up i to my chest, this lasted for about 8 hrs. In a couple of weeks im due to go on a 10hr flight and im worried this will happen again. Does anyone have any advise on what i could either do or take to try and avoid this from happening again. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry - it's not something I've ever come across.  I was diagnosed with Diverticular Disease 18 years ago and since then I've been on many flights including 6 long haul.  I always make sure I get up every 90 minutes or so, and do lots of leg exercised, stretching and walking up and down on the spot.  I also wear flight socks and drink lots of water.

• Posted

Yes make sure you drink plenty of water and keep stretching out. My GP always prescribes me antibiotics when I go abroad in case if a flare up. 
  • Posted

Did u have any follow up after you landed?

My suggestion would be to eat light 24 hrs prior to those flights. Make sure you don’t become constipated while traveling. Stay away from fried foods and drink a lot of fluids!

• Posted

I went to the Dr today he has given me buscopan for my flight and recommended I take lots of water, and given me Laxido. Thanks for the replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.