Advice on fusion surgery severe stenosis/listhesis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I am a 45 year old female due to have decompression and fusion (at L4/5) surgery for severe spinal stenosis and grade 1 spondylisthesis. My consultant suggested I should also have a fusion at L3/4 as this level would probably 'go' at some point in the future but he also said that this would 'bring more risk'. As I was already terrified of the risks associated with a one level fusion I said that I would just do L4/5 and see how it goes as this seems to be causing most of my symptoms at present. However as I wait for the surgery I am worried that I made the wrong choice. How much more risk am I really taking on by having fusion at two levels? Am I doomed to more surgery in a couple of year's time? I'm not sure I want to go through surgery again so soon and my employers are not likely to be thrilled either.  Any advice appreciated. Laura

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura, I'm 48 and 7 weeks post operative from a 2 level lumbar fusion. I had the same but my stenosis was L5/S1 with my L5 nerve compressed. I had another disc bulge at L4/L5 and my surgeon too said that if I did not have the two levels, I would need surgery again.

I had the operation and went home the next day. I literally woke up in recovery with no sciatic pain. I was off pain medication within a week. I'm now back at work full time, I walk 5-10k a day with no pain and I swim 3 times a week.

The first 2 weeks were tough but it's a major operation and it takes a while for the body to recover. I still cannot bend or twist, or carry anything heavy but it's not impacting on my daily life.

I'm a firm believer in positive mental attitude, and have been positive right the way through.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Angie,

You must have been on cloud nine after surgery & not having any sciatic pain, I can't remember what it's like to not have any pain.......

How long did you have to wait for surgery, I've been on the waiting list for 4 months now?!!

Glad all is well & you're on the road to recovery!!

Tasha x

• Posted

Hi Tasha, I was put on the waiting list at the end of January, and was due to be waiting 8 months but I had a severe relapse in May and was pushed to urgent, the operation was 2 weeks later. 

It's amazing to have no pain and be able to sleep through the night. I actually can't remember the awful pain I had know lol.  Good luck and hope you get a date soon. 

• Posted

Hi Angie,

I am so glad to see your message. I am having severe sciatic pain and am looking at a possible fusion on S1-L5. I am in my 60s and very active so I have been scared to death that I will not be able to do a lot of the activities I enjoy.

Do you mind sharing where you had your surgery? I am looking at Duke University and/or Vanderbilt.

Thanks in advance!

Ann

• Posted

Hi Annie, I'm in the UK and had by surgery at Salisbury District Hospital.

I am now 8 weeks post op and very active, I just can't bend or twist, and limited to small weights. However I'm working, driving, walking and swimming. I can enjoy sitting in restaurants or cinemas for a couple of hours. It's completely changed my life.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Angie, Im so pleased to hear you are recovering well after surgery.  Im due to have fusion of L4/L5/S1 in December in Salisbury District Hospital too.  Im having it done by Mr Chappel, I could have had it done earlier by a different surgeon as Mr Chappel has been off on sick leave but i wasnt sure who the other surgeons were, who did your surgery?  I love your positivity and i hope for the same outcome in December.

I hope you keep recovering well.

• Posted

Hi Tracey, I was also under Mr Chapple. I was put on the waiting list in January 2015 but I deteriorated fast. I was moved to Mr Dabke and saw him on the 14th May and my operation was on the 28th May. I was told that Mr Chapple would not be back until now ( August) but even that was not guaranteed. I'm now 12 weeks post op, in work full time, exercising again, just come back from a week abroad and on no pain relief. I saw Mr Dabke on the 3rd August and don't have to see him again till May 2016.

If you can wait then that's good, but Mr Dabke was excellent. I have the most amazingly neat 6 inch scar and can't even tell I had the operation now.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Laura,

I've got grade 2 spondylisthesis & also have to have fusion on 2 levels, my surgeon said if I don't I would definitely need more surgery again in the future. I don't know about you but I really can't go through the pain & the wait for surgery again.....

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks, all. It's so reassuring and helpful to hear positive stories about this surgery. I am starting to think the two level fusion might be the right thing to do, if for no other reason than the very long wait time for another surgery. I could barely crawl up the stairs today my sciatic pain was so hideous. And good luck to anyone still waiting for their sugery. I'll let you know the outcome. x
  • Posted

Hi Laura, so sorry that you are facing surgery. I feel you made the right decision. The way my surgeon explained it to me, the level above the fusion...whichever level that ends up being... will be taking on more stress and so may need fusing in the future. However, he didn't encourage me to go higher just because of that risk. To eliminate the risk of further surgery you would need to have your entire spine fused at one time...not going to happen! Instead, he explained it to me, then after my surgery he sent me for physical therapy with emphasis on learning exercises to strengthen and protect my spine and ways to avoid stress on my spine during normal daily activities. if the next level gives at some point we will address it then. Hope this makes sense, and good luck!
  • Posted

Hi, I am a 71 year old female who had decompression and 2-level fusion (L3/4 and L4/5) surgery 8 weeks ago.  I had a minimally invasive surgical procedure called ILIF(interlaminar lumbar instrumented fusion) surgery I also had severe spinal stenosis and a grade 1 spondylisthesis. I have been pain free since the first week and was off heavy duty pain meds within a few days. I am walking around 5K steps each day, walking in a pool and driving.  I still am limited as to BLT (bending, lifting and twisting). I see my neurosurgeon the end of this week and am hoping I am fusing well. I was told it takes about 12 weeks.  This has been much easier than I expected and I wouldn't worry about a 2-level fusion.  Susan
    • Posted

Hi Susan, Wow! What a great outcome. I will definitely look into that procedure though I suspect it may not be available on the NHS (I am in South West England) just yet. This forum is a great place to get reassurance. I think the fear of making ourselves completely vulnerable in the hands of healthcare professionals can prevent us from being brave sometimes but hearing outcomes like yours really does inspire. All the best, Laura.
  • Posted

Hi Laura,

I recently had extensive back surgery for kyphoscoliosis and lumar spondylolisthesis (you can look those up) I had been through a great deal of stress and hard work outdoors, and as my back deteriorated I knew what the outcome would be.

After my divorce I moved to Richmond and saw an orthopedist who recommended a cortisone shot to last about 3 months or an operation to fix the two conditions.  May I add that I am 78 years old.  I decided to go for the operation and get it all over with, given my age and unpredictable future.  Also dealing with chronic severe daily migraines--a whole other issue.  My advice would be to do whatever you have to do to become as whole as possible.  I was in a hard shell brace for two monfhs and now am in a soft brace, presumably for two more months.  My motion is limited since I am fitted with rods and screws.  I'm not a heavy person, for which I am grateful as I do as much as my body lets me.  Don't wait.  Seek another opinion if necessary.  If it were me I would just want to get it all over with while I was still yioung.  Good luck in your decision.  One day at a time....

Marcie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.