Advice on heller myotomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey guys 

I'm due to have the heller myotomy surgery on Monday and have been advised to stick to a liquid diet for 5 days prior to surgery. I'm just wondering if anybody here had to do the same and if so how long. 

Many thanks 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Matthew, I was on a liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to my surgery, because that was all my system could handle.  If the 5 days, liquids only, prior to surgery is what the Surgeon is requiring, then that's what you should do.  Liquids include orange or yellow jello [not red].  Jello can be 'filling' along with the other liquids.  Good luck with your surgery on Monday.

• Posted

I was on an all liquid diet one week prior to surgery and then pretty much an all liquid/puréed diet for one month after surgery. Best of luck!!!

• Posted

I was on regular diet for what I could eat . I eat lite anyways and I ate a nice burger at lunch then a salad at dinner. Cause enjoy your last good meal for about 4wks if they put you on the Post Nissen Diet.

Good luck 😊

• Posted

I hope all goes well for you but fail to see the point of your query.  If that's what you were told to do pre-op, how can it possibly matter or affect you what others did--or for how long?  Come on.  Listen to your doc. 

• Posted

Oh yes, I am following the doc's advise, however just curious if people had to do the same 

• Posted

It is surprising how long the food residue stays around in your oesophagus when you have achalasia so having the liquid diet beforehand  will tend to give the surgeon a clearer area to work on.

​All best wishes for the operation.       

• Posted

I was tube fed down the nose with liquid food. I had to put a syringe in the end of the tube maybe every day, suck up some stuff and squirt it onto this special paper to see what colour it went and if i was ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.